Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Is it possible to StartActivity() from Xamarin.Forms (Shared)?

VanhanenJLAVanhanenJLA Member
edited August 2019 in Xamarin.Forms

Recently I've been pondering consistent application UI appearance and run time styling.

I'm somewhat aware that I might be trying to do something silly here, but I've given my attempt at trying to switch the android theme in run time by trying to replace my MainActivity with a separate Activity having a different theme applied via the android ActivityAttribute.

I've also somewhat managed to do this via exposing the MainActivitys ApplicationContext through a static field member and using DependencyService to call a static method onto this context.

[assembly: Xamarin.Forms.Dependency(typeof(ThemingAndroid))]
namespace Sample.Droid.DependencyImplementations
{
    public class ThemingAndroid : ITheming
    {
        public void ChangeTheme()
        {
            MainActivity.ChangeTheme();
        }
    }
}
    public class MainActivity : Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.FormsAppCompatActivity
    {
        public static Activity myContext;
        public static void ChangeTheme()
        {
            myContext.StartActivity(new Intent(myContext, typeof(DarkActivity)));
        }
    }

Could this actually work or am I missing something fundamental here?
At the moment I get a null object reference after the new Activity's OnCreate() and LoadApplication() have been executed.

Best Answers

• VanhanenJLAVanhanenJLA Member
    Accepted Answer

I had goofed.

[Activity(Theme = "@style/MainTheme.Dark")]
        public class DarkActivity : Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.FormsAppCompatActivity
        {
        }

My Activity derived from FormsApplicationActivity rather than AppCompatActivity and I totally missed that.

Oof.

Still thanks @Jarvan, I soon found my mistake after trying out your suggestion in an empty project.

Answers

• VanhanenJLAVanhanenJLA Member
    Accepted Answer

I had goofed.

[Activity(Theme = "@style/MainTheme.Dark")]
        public class DarkActivity : Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.FormsAppCompatActivity
        {
        }

My Activity derived from FormsApplicationActivity rather than AppCompatActivity and I totally missed that.

Oof.

Still thanks @Jarvan, I soon found my mistake after trying out your suggestion in an empty project.