Xamarin Discord Server

DominikGanicDominikGanic DEMember ✭✭

Hi guys,

I just came across the idea to create a Xamarin Discord server and so I did.

The reason why I've created it was clearly simple. Everbody knows the situation, when something doesn't work like expected or you might need someones advice on how to create something. It would be much easier when it's possible to ask the question inside a live-chat like Discord, where others are active and able to respond to their questions immediately and give live-help.

I would love to see people join the Discord Server. I will also offer my total help to others and of course newbies to help them out. Also I will parse the server into well channels to get the help you need by people with different roles. :smile:

I hope it's not a problem to share that here. It might be good for the entire community and their productivity.

Here is the link to the server: https://discord.gg/yDy3uKe

Thanks guys. Hope to see you there!

Have a nice day :smile:

• nefgrixisnefgrixis Member ✭✭

There's a Slack workspace for this as well. xamarinchat.slack.com if you wanna check it out and add things they don't have to your server

• DominikGanicDominikGanic DEMember ✭✭

@nefgrixis said:
    There's a Slack workspace for this as well. xamarinchat.slack.com if you wanna check it out and add things they don't have to your server

How I'm able to join this? Sound interesting.

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod
    edited July 31

@DominikGanic

If you look at the footer of this page, you'll see a range of communications methods. One of which is Gitter. See https://gitter.im/xamarin/home

I don't see any need for any more. If anything, there are too many options already. And, if you monitor Slack or Gitter, there's a pretty good chance that you won't get much else done ;-)

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

I know loads of people love Discord. Let me know if it catches on for Xamarin devs.

fwiw - it's hard for us (Microsoft team) to maintain presence in all of the channels, so please alert us by name (or smoke signals?) if you want our eyeballs on a discussion. I know for some communities Facebook is quite active, for others Slack, and of course Twitter and Forums.

Gitter is the official channel to talk to the product engineers about the SDKs themselves, contributing, etc. It's not well suited for support issues or "how do I..."

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

@DavidOrtinau said:
    I know for some communities Facebook is quite active

I find that odd. For some work-related things that I do, no other option is provided than to use Facebook, but I know I am not alone in wanting to keep work and play separate, and IMHO Facebook is not for work.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod

@JohnHardman said:

@DavidOrtinau said:

I find that odd. For some work-related things that I do, no other option is provided than to use Facebook, but I know I am not alone in wanting to keep work and play separate, and IMHO Facebook is not for work.

I don't use Facebook on a point of principle :)

• IsThisAJokeIsThisAJoke Member ✭✭

@NMackay said:

@JohnHardman said:

@DavidOrtinau said:

I don't use Facebook on a point of principle :)

You are preaching to the wrong crowd here. But I'm glad some people out there still remember what the internet use to be.