Disappointed and confused about your licensing plans ...

MatthiasFuchsMatthiasFuchs USMember
edited February 2013 in General

Hi guys,

first I want to thank you for this great new IDE you developed. Earlier today as I saw the blog post I was pleased to see that there is now a free version of Xamarin Studio including Android support. I was very impressed ... at first.

I remembered that I saw some Android tutorials on your blog some time ago and wanted to test this out. I created an Android project and woohooo, it run on my Galaxy S3 without problems.
I started the ZXing tutorial video, set everything up and ... WHAT? I cannot start the app anymore, because the apk file exceeds the size of 32KB? WTF?

I have to invest at least $300 to upgrade to the indie license or go into trial mode? Come on guys? I'd really like to use your software. But I'm an open source developer, I cannot effort to invest such a big amount of money ...

I understand that you have to make money. But for me this looks like you are screwing with all the open source developers out there that originally created the mono project, monodevelop etc. I know that some of these developers already work for you. But that doesn't make it any more right.
What's next? You continue to develop mono and xamarin studio and don't publish the source code anymore?
Or you remove the possibility to use MonoMac for free, or maybe even some standard Mono/.NET library to force developers to upgrade the license? That would fit into your previous road map ...
You are making a big mistake here!

You could at least remove the file size limit and prohibit commercial use. So independent open source developers that don't want to make money with their apps can use your software.

But I guess you won't ...

Anyway, back to Eclipse ...

• CatalinCatalin USMember

Totally agree with you Matthias, this new pricing model discourages independent/open-source software developers from using Xamarin Studio. People that would otherwise start using the tool for non commercial projects will find the 32KB limitation an obstacle and go back to eclipse. I'm one of those that love the Xamarin Studio IDE but can't afford $300/year as I'm not writing commercial applications.

• GiorgiGiorgi USMember ✭✭

I totally agree. In the previous version it was possible to deploy to simulators without any limitations. Now I cannot deploy even to simulators after 30 day trial has expired.