How to start a Mac application on startup?

PreranaPrerana INMember ✭✭

Hello All,

I need to start my application on startup. It has UI, window etc.

I went through couple of links suggesting to use CFPreferences API or to create a launchd property list file and place it in ~/Library/LaunchAgents or /Library/LaunchAgents but I am still not clear with this concept.

Can anyone guide me through this with a code snippet if possible and how exactly this has to be accomplished??

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks a ton in advance!!

Best Answers

Answers

• RemjithTkRemjithTk INMember

Hi,

You can create a ProcessStartInfo and use osascript to put your app in the log in item

var args = String.Format (@-e 'tell application "System Events"" to make login item at end with properties {{path:""{0}"", hidden:false}}'",
    @/Applications/Your app.app);
    var processInfo = new ProcessStartInfo {
    FileName=@/usr/bin/osascript,
    Arguments=args,
    CreateNoWindow=false,
    UseShellExecute=false,
    ErrorDialog=true,
    WindowStyle= ProcessWindowStyle.Normal,
    RedirectStandardError=true,
    RedirectStandardInput=true,
    RedirectStandardOutput=true,
    };
    var prc = Process.Start (processInfo);
    prc.WaitForExit ();

• PreranaPrerana INMember ✭✭

Hi @RemjithTk‌ ,

First of all Thanks a Ton for replying, I have been really struggling with this and had no idea where to start!!.. Thanks again :):)

Now Following is what I exactly have to do to put my app in LoginItems right??

var args = String.Format (@"-e 'tell application ""System Events"" to make login item at end with properties {{path:""{0}"", hidden:false}}'", @"/Applications/Your app.app"); 

var processInfo = new ProcessStartInfo { [email protected]"/usr/bin/osascript", Arguments=args, CreateNoWindow=false, UseShellExecute=false, ErrorDialog=true, WindowStyle= ProcessWindowStyle.Normal, RedirectStandardError=true, RedirectStandardInput=true, RedirectStandardOutput=true, }; 

var prc = Process.Start (processInfo); 
       prc.WaitForExit ();

The args string, does it had to be exactly in the same way?? Or Have I confused it and mixed it with your explaination ?? Please do correct me if I am wrong.

One more question, Is there a way to remove my Application from LoginItems??

Thanks a ton @RemjithTk for the answer ..:):) I will read about osascript .

@RemjithTk‌ , Now I am successfully able to add my app to LoginItems but enable to delete it. I used your code for deleting but the App does not get removed. Its neither throwing any error nor any exception, any idea why this might be happening??

Thanks a ton in advance!

@RemjithTk‌ , Yup that did the trick :). Thanks a ton again!! :):)

• sarahzohar88sarahzohar88 USMember

good trick

• I was able to use this trick. However, when a machine updates to Mojave, it seems to remove my program from the login items. Anyone else seeing this?