Xamarin Studio in Linux

HumbleGeekHumbleGeek ROMember, Beta

Hi,
I know this question was asked before, but I'm interested if Xamarin Studio with support for Android and iOS development will be available in Linux, same as for Windows and Mac.
I'm a C# dev currently doing Android apps using Eclipse/Ubuntu and we want to investigate MonoForAndroid and MonoTouch as a cross-platform alternative, it will be nice to be able to do this from Ubuntu directly.

Best Answer

Answers

• HumbleGeekHumbleGeek ROMember, Beta

Thanks for the answer, will prepare a Windows machine. I still hope Linux will be a supported platform in the future :)

• tushtush INMember

hi sir, can you please tell me if there is any kinda provision(or in future?) to use .net framework in linux(ubuntu) (via OR not xamarin) ?? i want to use some of C# application software to develop and use in linux.. will be happy if u help me out. Thanx! :)

• nodoidnodoid GBMember, Beta ✭✭✭

.NET itself is supported under a large number of Linux distros with Mono. Check with your distro to see if it's available as an rpm or deb.

• tushtush INMember

but even mono supports till .net 2.0 .. the rest .nets are not (fully) spported.. :(

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013

I think you may have misunderstood the mono versioning. The stable release of mono (2.10.x) for the various linux distros supports .NET 4.5 (I believe, but definitely higher than .NET 2.0).

Of course, that depends on what you mean by fully supported. The core services are fully supported. There are certain parts that will likely never be supported.

• Hi, guys! What about Microsoft open sourced .NET?

• CheesebaronCheesebaron DKInsider, University mod

@felipsmartins‌ what about it?

• maheshpaytmmaheshpaytm INMember

Hi,
    xamarin, will work on Linux(Fedora). plz ...

• maheshpaytmmaheshpaytm INMember

Hi,
    will fedora os support Xamarin ??

• LukeMalpassLukeMalpass USMember

You will have a huge market for Xamarin on Linux and now .Net is open source its easy. I'd strongly recommend adding it to your toolset.

Given the fact that even Microsoft is starting to offer cross platform support for their technologies, it's a shame that Xamarin still doesn't offer Linux support. The irony is that after years of pushing Mono/Xamarin in various jobs, now I have to do an Android app using Java instead of C# as buying Macs or Windows licences for the whole team is not really a question.

• EidandEidand GBMember, University ✭✭✭

Windows licenses are so cheap these days that I am surprised anyone still thinks they are expensive. £300 / year gives me 3 MSDN accounts ( that's 3 Visual Studios ) and 10 licenses of everything else, Windows operating systems included.

https://mspartner.microsoft.com/en/us/Pages/Membership/action-pack.aspx

then you have Bizspark - http://www.microsoft.com/bizspark/

I mean really how much cheaper do they need to be ?

To build iOS apps on Windows requires a MAC somewhere on the network. Yes it is a little investment but nowhere near that bad as you might think. A second hand little MAC is not that expensive.

All in all, it's actually cheap to provide licensed Microsoft software to your developers.

Linux might sound great, with the all free jazz until you have to support the whole business and suddenly it's not that cheap anymore and certainly not free.

If I were you I'd reconsider.

Well, the whole Mono platform started as a way to provide C# for Linux, if you don't see the value in that, that's OK, still I'm wondering how many clients Xamarin is losing by not supporting Linux. Microsoft starts to push on cross platform as offering Windows only technologies is clearly not enough, so maybe it's a good time for Xamarin to do the same.

• EidandEidand GBMember, University ✭✭✭

It's not that I don't see the value, I was simply responding to your post where you dismissed the idea of buying Windows licenses and I assumed the reason was the cost.

• SKallSKall USMember ✭✭✭✭

Linux desktop, Visual Studio and Mac build host...that would be a really nice combination for a development environment. I don't see it happening but I would definitely take Linux desktop over OSX or Windows if could have all the tools as well.

• DanielTooneDanielToone USMember

I don't use Linux because it is cheap, I use it because it is high performance, secure, has excellent package management, and is infinitely customizable as a development platform. All my server side code runs in linux, making a it perfect for a local dev platform. I prefer open source, but I have no ideological qualms with closed source software, especially software of the quality and utility level that Xamarin is known for.

I have a windows license, can dual boot into Windows, and I think Visual Studio is a top notch IDE, but I still much prefer a linux development environment. I'll probably end up using Windows because I really want to use Xamarin, but it would make me so much less reluctant if I had some assurance that I could do 90% of my development work on Linux.

• Ed0820Ed0820 USMember

I am with DanielToone. His reasons are valid. Windows is constantly patching and trying protect itself from viruses and the like. The value is you have a whole market that you are ignoring. What happened to if the customer want it we will do it?
    Secure systems such as a banking ... etc use linux because of the security. Windows is simply not secure.

• DrewDeVaultDrewDeVault USMember
    edited June 2015

I just prefer Linux. It's a huge hassle for me to use anything else. I have full disk encryption, so making room for a Windows install is going to be annoying and difficult (and I'd only use it for Xamarin, which is lame). Forking up a couple grand for a Mac is pretty lame, too. It shouldn't be very difficult to support Android dev on Linux. Remember - imperfect support is better than no support.

• Voicing my support for a Linux editor. I'm currently looking through options for developing a cross-platform (iOS/Android) app on Linux. I've heard great things about Xamarin, but I'll likely use another solution if possible due to Xamarin not being supported on my operating system of choice.

• I really want Xamarin Studio in Linux.

• KibiKibi ILMember

I'm hoping to take a job now which requires working with Xamarin. REALLY do not want to go back to using Windows after a happy 6 years using Ubuntu full time for development, has anyone had luck hacking a way of doing this?

• mixedCasemixedCase UYMember

Last year, my company went with Kivy instead of Xamarin for two reasons: Cost and cross-platform development.

No Windows machines are allowed in the office outside of a build server overseen by DevOps, and we weren't switching everyone over to OS X. With the new pricing scheme, if Xamarin were to start supporting Linux as a first-class development platform, Xamarin would definitely be back in the table for discussion, since C# talent is easier to get (skipping us a lot of training, which costs money).

Considering the Linux background of the Xamarin team, MonoDevelop running on Linux (XStudio is a fork, after all) I believe it'd be a no brainer for Xamarin to do the work necessary to get Xamarin Studio working on Linux.

• leandrwleandrw USMember

Common' @migueldeicaza, your're the Gnome and Mono main creator, this is no brainer to do.

• muthu1990muthu1990 INMember

hey! I am using ubundu how to install xamarin studio.

• FabioDalleAveFabioDalleAve ITMember

As a longtime Xamarin customer I'd be happy to see progress in the Linux world. It's just great to have the freedom to choose the development environment each of us feel comfortable with.
    I use both Windows and OSX, and enjoy them both, and I'm planning a move to Linux soon. I already have VMs for my windows needs (hey, most businesses run on Windows, and I also develop desktop apps), but for my web (Java) needs and, maybe in the near future, for my mobile needs, Linux could be an excellent platform.

• fabianpradofabianprado CLMember

No notice yet? I've already decided to do my project with Xamarin, but I don't want to change my OS. I think I'll back to native.

• RossYlitaloRossYlitalo USMember
    edited January 2017

I agree with Eidand on the licensing issues--pricing is becoming less and less of an issue (thank you Microsoft). I installed Xamarin in my VS 2015 community edition in Windows 10, and it worked as advertised. However, I jumped over to Linux, hoping I could do the same thing here in Visual Studio Code, because like DanielToone, I find that Linux is, in my experience, a snappier Operating System. While I plan to someday sink enough money into a high-end system that my Windows, and then I think I will be in love with Windows and Visual Studio because I suppose they will be as responsive as my Linux--I just can't afford to buy that system today.

I would like to see Xamarin for Visual Code in Ubuntu.

• jackfidojackfido USMember

We are now 2017 and I still want my Ubuntu with Xamarin... some update?

• jaYCee.1750jaYCee.1750 USMember ✭✭

Having MS Visual Studio or Xamarin Studio atleast in my Linux OS (Deepin) could be great! I really wish they'd make a path for Linux OS.

• megatuxmegatux ARMember

Update? I want to start w/Xamarin & #C but no Linux support is a NO!

• aiamuzzzaiamuzzz INMember

@jaYCee.1750 said:
    Having MS Visual Studio or Xamarin Studio atleast in my Linux OS (Deepin) could be great! I really wish they'd make a path for Linux OS.

exactly my point ... Deepin OS is a new breed of linux ... i have a gut feeling that linux market share is going to soar with this particular operating system ... the power of linux and the polish/finesse that beats a windows/mac ... of my more than 8 years of linux experience mostly ubuntu (one of the better maintained and popular distro) ... i was instantly hooked to this Deepin OS ... the feeling of broken is no longer the case with linux anymore(power was anyways its forte, its USP) ...

Deepin OS is as solid and may be more than Windows and Mac(mac the less said the better, i always end up pulling my hair with its my-way-or-a-highway philosophy, and highway(is freedom) is faaaaaar better ... err ... - don't mind apple fanboys ... freedom and apple are parallel lines ... that can never meet)

• k.rinkk.rink DEMember

Adding myself to this. Any ETAs or current state of things on how to use Xamarin with a Linux development desktop? Any way to use MonoDevelop (or, talking Microsoft) maybe Visual Studio Code for that?

• directhexdirecthex GBXamarin Team Xamurai

Available immediately: master-branch command-line builds of Xamarin Android, which will build arbitrary XA projects:

[email protected]:~/Projects/androidgl$ uname -a
    Linux flame 4.13.0-17-generic #20-Ubuntu SMP Mon Nov 6 10:04:08 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    [email protected]:~/Projects/androidgl$ msbuild /p:AndroidSdkDirectory=/home/directhex/XamarinSDKs/android-sdk-linux/ /t:SignAndroidPackage
    [...]
    [email protected]:~/Projects/androidgl$ ls -lh androidgl/bin/Release/com.directhexcorp.androidgl.apk
    -rw-r--r-- 1 directhex directhex 7.6M Aug 25 16:50 androidgl/bin/Release/com.directhexcorp.androidgl.apk

Pull those .debs from https://jenkins.mono-project.com/view/Xamarin.Android/job/xamarin-android-linux/lastSuccessfulBuild/Azure/

When I have time on my schedule, I'll add stable releases to the stable release repositories too.

IDE stuff... be vocal on https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/18433768-visual-studio-for-linux-os - Microsoft pays a LOT of attention to Uservoice. If enough people want it, it will happen.

• BrianKnoxBrianKnox USMember ✭✭

We're very interested in developing in Xamarin on Windows/VisualStudio, but deploying the project to Linux. I'd like to see a whole thread dedicated to this. In short, what are the step to deploy to Linux from Windows VisualStudio/Xamarin?

I see some comments above that seem like they may be the answer, but I'm guessing there is more to it than just a single command line.

Is there a way to debug a Xamarin/C# app from Linux? (e.g. can you use MonoDevelop for this?)

• Florin_BirguFlorin_Birgu USMember
    edited March 2018

@BrianKnox You can use jetbrains Rider

jetbrains.com/rider/

github.com/0xFireball/xamarin-android-linux

• marcotcmarcotc Member

It's really a shame that Xamarin does not support Linux.
    As my religion forbids me from using Windows I will continue to develop
    in Android Studio and Objective C for Mac applications :)

• gamesgurugamesguru USMember

@BrianKnox said:
    but I'm guessing there is more to it than just a single command line.

It is a single command actually. Perhaps two, if your project requires a nuget restore and assuming you can get the source cloned onto a machine.

The first step is you need to install android studio, the android sdk and the appropriate android platform image.

Next install the xamarin headers for (example) Ubuntu. I am not allowed to post links yet, but if you google 0xFireball xamarin-android-linux, you'll find a github page linking you to the jenkins.mono page with the latest azure artifacts, including a .deb file.

After installing that simply run the command msbuild /p:Configuration=Release /t:SignAndroidPackage /p:Outputpath=bin/Release/ out of the solution directory.

You will need to disable EnableLLVM, AotAssemblies, and BundleAssemblies in the .csproj file because the NDK features are poorly supported on Linux for now.

As of July 2018 you will still also need to rename the /Resoures/values/Strings.xml file to a lowercase strings.xml as part of your build script.

• dev.kramdev.kram PHMember ✭✭

Yeehaa! Road to Xamarin.Linux!
    It's 2018 already!
    Where are you mi friend?