Byte[] being converted to stream not displaying image - Image data was invalid: Xamarin.Forms.Stream

LiqwidLiqwid Member ✭✭

I am trying to display images that my app gets as Stream objects. For example:

private void DoWork(Item item, Stream image)
        {
            // WORKING, until I leave and come back to the page. The stream has been disposed by then.
            item.Image = ImageSource.FromStream( () => image );
        }   

This works fine until I navigate away from the page and back. The stream will have been disposed of and I get an exception.

After reading some other posts (https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/22160/imagesource-fromstream-with-caching,
https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/61199/image-disposes-source-stream) I tried the following:

private void DoWork( Item item, Stream image)
        {
            // NOT WORKING
            MemoryStream memoryStream = new MemoryStream();
            image.CopyTo( memoryStream );
            memoryStream.Position = 0;
            image.Dispose();

item.Image = ImageSource.FromStream( () => new MemoryStream( memoryStream.ToArray() ) );
        }

The intent was to convert my source stream to a byte[] and thus create a new Stream to bind to the image each time the page is created. This does not work and give me the following error:

06-06 16:04:07.291 D/skia    (11394): --- Failed to create image decoder with message 'unimplemented'
[0:] ImageLoaderSourceHandler: Image data was invalid: Xamarin.Forms.StreamImageSource

I am using the latest version of Xamarin(4.0.0.482894). Please help me figure out why when I create my own Stream from a byte[] it fails or how I can overcome the stream being disposed of.
I am really at a loss here.

Thanks!

Answers

• LucasZhangLucasZhang Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited June 7
    Image image = new Image();
    image.Source = ImageSource.FromStream(() => new MemoryStream(imageAsBytes));

• LiqwidLiqwid Member ✭✭

Thanks for your response @LucasZhang.

Sadly, that is exactly what I am doing above. The item.Image that I am assigning to is actually of type ImageSource so my code is doing what yours does too.

The error message mentions Image data was invalid. Is that because I am creating my byte array wrong? I am creating it like the following:

MemoryStream memoryStream = new MemoryStream();
                        image.CopyTo( memoryStream );
                        var imageAsBytes = memoryStream.ToArray()

• AravindakumarAravindakumar Member ✭✭
    edited June 18

Hi @Liqwid

Use below code,

ImageSource retSource = null;
                if (value != null)
                {
                    byte[] imageAsBytes = System.Convert.FromBase64String(value.ToString());
                    //byte[] imageAsBytes = value as byte[];
                    retSource = ImageSource.FromStream(() => new MemoryStream(imageAsBytes));
                    return retSource;
                }
                else
                {
                    return "NoProfile.png";
                }

retsource is used as source for image.

Thanks