Starting project on Windows and now cloning on Mac made disappear iOS Bundle Options tabs

antonello_alfatauriantonello_alfatauri ✭✭Member ✭✭

As the title says, we were developing a Xamarin Forms app on Windows Platform. Now we need to implement the iOS version so we cloned the solution from git to our Mac machine. But if I go to Project.iOS > right click > Options then the window does not contain the iOS tabs such as iOS Bundle Options, iOS IPA Options and so on. You can look the normal behaviour and this particular case in attached images.
How is it possibile? How can i solve this?

Best Answer

• antonello_alfatauriantonello_alfatauri ✭✭ ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

I compared the .csproj file of my project with the .csproj file of a new project created on the Mac and they seems different only for this line:

Wrong .csproj line:

<OutputType>Library</OutputType>

Right .csproj line:

<OutputType>Exe</OutputType>

So I changed that line and now it works.

Thanks!

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent ✭✭✭✭✭ USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Now we need to implement the iOS version so we cloned the solution from git to our Mac machine.

Why?

You don't need to develop on the Mac. And I strongly discourage you from doing so because the Mac version of Visual Studio is 20 years behind in development compared to the Windows version.

Just keep building on your WIndows machine. The mac only exists as a remote build server.

• antonello_alfatauriantonello_alfatauri ✭✭ Member ✭✭

@ClintStLaurent said:
    Why?

You don't need to develop on the Mac. And I strongly discourage you from doing so because the Mac version of Visual Studio is 20 years behind in development compared to the Windows version.

Just keep building on your WIndows machine. The mac only exists as a remote build server.

Because my Windows machine is 20 years behind my Mac (: and i previously developed on Xamarin.Forms for Mac so I prefer it.

Your call. I wish you the best of luck on that. I wouldn't do it.
    Everyone I know that was forced to use Macs installed VMWareFusion on the Mac, then runs real Visual Studio on that.

To be clear, I love my Macintoshes. Have for decades. Even had an XServe+Raid for personal use. So it this isn't a 'pro windows' guy talking. Its just that VIsual Studio for Mac is only marginally migrated from Xamarin Studio on the mac. As a piece of software it is just grossly limited compared to the Windows version of VS which has grown and evolved over years and years.

(okok, i guess what you say. it seems very logic, but i'd like to resolve this bug if it is possible because I'm so close and then I can immediatly work, on the other side i'd have to wait a lot for installations.)

If I create a new Xamarin Forms solution from the Mac the ios bundle tabs in the Project.iOS options are there! Maybe this can help to get the problem?

@antonello_alfatauri said:
    If I create a new Xamarin Forms solution from the Mac the ios bundle tabs in the Project.iOS options are there! Maybe this can help to get the problem?

Maybe. Start comparing the csproj files between the two.

eh... Is your mac up to date? Maybe the Windows machine is a version ahead of hte mac, so the mac can't cope with the new solution format?

If you move the working solution to the PC... open it... make any little change and build it.... then send it back to the Mac... Does it open?

Accepted Answer

I compared the .csproj file of my project with the .csproj file of a new project created on the Mac and they seems different only for this line:

Wrong .csproj line:

<OutputType>Library</OutputType>

Right .csproj line:

<OutputType>Exe</OutputType>

So I changed that line and now it works.

Thanks!

Hurray!