EmployeeDirectory Xam2

Hi,

Installed X2 to PC, and loaded XStudio and EmployeeDirectory Sample.

1. Get Could not load project 'V:\Dropbox\Xamarin2\Samples\EmployeeDirectory\EmployeeDirectory.iOS\EmployeeDirectory.iOS.csproj' with unknown item type '{6BC8ED88-2882-458C-8E55-DFD12B67127B};{FAE04EC0-301F-11D3-BF4B-00C04F79EFBC}'

Assume as on PC cannot load IOS project without using VS Setup? either way, can't this be handled gracefully somehow, "feels" wrong with the whole expected x-plat studio vibe?

1. Removed IOS project and ran just android project, told me I needed a 4.0.3 SDK or equiv and use the AVD to add it in.

Would it not be better to have your samples always work out of the box with latest release? I am newbie and this just breaks the intial momentum considerably.

1. Installed SDK 4.0.3 and used AVD to add a 4.0.3 device (tried changing build to 4.2 also prev), this was all new which is fine, but after starting emulator during run attempt get "internal error", how do I check what the error is?

Excited to use product, hope someone can get me going asap :(

Matt

• MatthewWaring.4722MatthewWaring.4722 GBUniversity ✭✭

UPDATE: After reboot after giving up last night, when retry this morning to write this got "installing shared plaftform etc" on first run and it has loaded on emulator!!!!
    So a REBOOT was required?, could you add this to messages when 4.0.3 AVD message is shown? (or is this just something you know to do after SDK install?) :(

Appreciate feedback on above though, thanks.

• JonathanPryorJonathanPryor USXamarin Team Xamurai

Installed X2 to PC, and loaded XStudio and EmployeeDirectory Sample. Get Could not load project

This is currently By Design: Xamarin Studio on Windows cannot load Xamarin.iOS projects. (We should raise a better error message...)

I needed a 4.0.3 SDK or equiv and use the AVD to add it in.

This means that the EmployeeDirectory.Android\EmployeeDirectory.Android.csproj is targeting Android 4.0.3 (API level 15), and thus requires that your Android SDK contain API level 15. Likewise, in order to deploy it to a target, that target must be running Android 4.0.3 or later in order to execute the app.

The unified installer should both install the API level 15 SDK files and create an API level 15 AVD target, iirc.

The default target API level can be changed in Project Options > Build / General > Target framework.

Would it not be better to have your samples always work out of the box with latest release?

I do not understand what this means. The "latest [Android] release" is Android 4.2.2, which is able to execute programs targeting API level 15 (which is the case here).

how do I check what the error is?

By viewing the device deployment log files.

• MatthewWaring.4722MatthewWaring.4722 GBUniversity ✭✭

Thanks JonP.

The unified installer should both install the API level 15 SDK files and create an API level 15 AVD target, iirc.

Just to clarify, after initial clean install, the sample did not run with the error message shown in attach (I took a copy before I started "messing" about), so I assume the unified installer did not kick in as expected (which it did on reboot this morning, after I had installed 4.0.3 SDK + set up AVD manually which I now assume I should not have needed to do)

If it will help I can send my log files?

Cheers

• JonathanPryorJonathanPryor USXamarin Team Xamurai

Yes, please attach the Universal Installer logs, which can be found in %LOCALAPPDATA\Xamarin\Universal, e.g. C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Xamarin\Universal.