Forum Xamarin.iOS

Debugging a QR code reader?

TimHaydnJonesTimHaydnJones GBMember ✭✭

Hi all - I have an app which uses the ZXing.Net.Mobile library to scan a QR code.
It has been working well until a recent user said that it didn't work on his new iPhone8 (running latest iOS, I'm told)
Now, this is a bit of a teaser for a hobbyist developer like me. I have access to the simulators in Xamarin Studio but I can't test the QR reading element in a simulator (AFAIK)
I have installed the app on physical iPhone 5 and iPhone 7 (running latest iOS) and the QR scanning feature works find on both of those but I don't happen to know anyone with an iPhone 8
Are there any user-accessible logs on the device itself that could be checked for an error?
And, more philosophically, in a world where none of us can test everything on every physical variant - what is the normal way to progress this kind of problem?
Thanks
Tim

Answers

• LandLuLandLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Generally, if it runs well on a real device with the same iOS version, other devices should be working too. So there's no need to test it on all of the iOS's devices(it is really a huge task).
    If you want to collect the exception messages on a device which is not beside you, you could embed an App Center library in your project:
    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/app-center/.
    It helps you ship and test projects, besides, collecting information is its another feature.

• TimHaydnJonesTimHaydnJones GBMember ✭✭

Thanks LandLu - I'll take a look