Forum Visual Studio

VS 2017 and VS 2019 Side by side

MichaelMcCoolMichaelMcCool GBMember ✭✭
edited April 2019 in Visual Studio

I currently develop a Zamarin Android app (not Forms) in VS 2017. I now want to install VS 2019. What will happen as regarding the Xamarin part of the install.

Will the versions of Xamarin for VS2017 be overwritten by the VS2019 installation, or will they happily co-exist.

I would hope now that Xamarin is mature, it could provide a side by side deployment. Failing that make Xamarin a separate install, and publish all the versions of Xamarin somewhere.

Can someone from the Xamarin team let me know whether a VS2017 Xamarin environment will be untouched by the installation of VS2019

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭

yes i am using side by side without any issue or need to change anything. only difference is that you cant use your existing NDK path, you need to install Android SDK and NDK is included in the installation VS2019 will use it automatically. you might want to change VS 2017 NDK path using the same one also.

• MichaelMcCoolMichaelMcCool GBMember ✭✭

HI @batmaci

Just so I am clear - if my installation of visual studio 2017 is using Xamarin version X , and if I install visual studio 2019 which uses Xamarin version Y, when I use Visual Studio 2017 it will still be referencing Version X rather than version Y.

Also I am not sure what you mean when you talk about the NDK path. What was the problem. Can you tell me what you had to do

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

xamarin version has no impact. it is all about nuget package of xamarin and you can use it on both VS same version. i am always up to date with the latest version of VS 2017 and VS 2019 and it has no problem. NDK path is configurable in VS 2017 through options but not in VS 2019, it is fixed. Still no problem though. I just dont like using 2 different NDK path thats why i configured my VS 2017 path using VS 2019 path which can be found in SDK install location using VS 2019 installer. You can search for more details on google. there are some posts about it.

• MichaelMcCoolMichaelMcCool GBMember ✭✭

OK but if you need an older version of Xamarin to be used with Visual Studio 2017, then Installing Visual Studio 2019 will upgrade your version of Xamarin, or am I missing something?