Forum Visual Studio

How the hell did VS 2019 made it to the RC with so many problems?

SebastianKruseSebastianKruse USMember ✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in Visual Studio

I use VS since 2008 and have worked on a ton of projects with it. I never used a Preview version but what the hell happend with VS2019?!

• VS Freezes and Crashes all over the place (at least one every 30 minutes, espacially when debugging watchOS with the remote simulator)
  • Ignored break points (also watchOS)
  • And the worse: Why the hell does VS modify all my Info.plist files and break the BundleIdentifier with some bullshit?! I don't want my app name in it because I use the code name of my projects for the identifier, changing this breaks all certificates etc...

3 critical (and breaking) bugs when using VS2019 for just 4 hours... I don't think I found so many bugs in any of the previous VS even when using them for thousands of hours...

• AshleyGazichAshleyGazich USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited April 2019

Hi Sebastian, really sorry to see this is going on. Would it be possible to report these issues via Help > Report a Problem? This is the best way to ensure issues get in front of our teams for review. Diagnostics that would be very helpful:

1. Zipped logs from Help > Open Log Directory
    2. Full version details from Visual Studio > About Visual Studio > Show Details > Copy Information [button]
    3. If possible, a minimized test case that reproduces the issue, and/or a screencast, and/or steps to reproduce. One is generally tricky because behavior may vary project-to-project, so we try to replicate the conditions under which things are happening.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly if/when you have a chance: ashley dot gazich at xamarin dot com

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have problem to create package also? i havent tried IOS yet but I am not able to create package on Android and UWP. it throws some meaningless errors. same project has no problem creating package using VS 2017.
    Worst is VS 2019 mac version. it freezes and crashes every 5 mins. Remote debugger is probably related to that.

• SebastianKruseSebastianKruse USMember ✭✭✭

@batmaci No those issues didn't happend to me yet. But a bunch of others did. Like the BundleIdentifier (the one for the certificates) in iOS extensions like watchOS, today, ... gets modified to an invalid value which also leads to broken certificates, installations and so on. Also the Android Resource generator tool messes up the Designer.cs file with "." in the Resource / Variable name. Missing project items in the solution explorer which are correct included in the project and works just fine in VS2017 (happens in the iOS extensions too in my case). Wrong generated controller designers in watchOS (missing parameters in button click handle).

I'm glad that I just tested my latest project with watchOS yet... It's a total mess and espacially not worth the Enterprise price... I'm always wondering how such bugs can even happen if they where not present in the previous VS Version... It's one thing that promised stuff like the Xamarin Forms Previewer never works but this kind of bugs is just rediculous...

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@SebastianKruse i have now same problem for my android project on VS 2019 MAC. it keeps changing my configurations. removing settings like proguard true, aot true, llvm true etc. Crazy part is that i say "revert" and it bumps it back. it goes into a loop. i dont know what to say :|