Forum General

ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

I've noticed that email titles are SO LONG that webmail and Outlook both truncate them right about the point where they are meaningful.
[Xamarin Community forums] Mustafashamalamdingdong started a new discussion: ...
And then its truncated right where you want to know what the discussion is about so you know if you care or not

For me personally this results in me doing a Select all / delete each morning because I'm not going to open 75 new threads just to see what its for. Later during the day as one or two new threads pop up I'll see what it is. But it does mean that a lot of threads aren't getting so much as a glance which really isn't fair to them.

I assume that if one person finds this a problem then there are a dozen (or more) that don't say anything - just like most problems or question that go without being asked.

Do we really need all that in the title? [Xamarin community forums] for example is already known simply by the account the email is from. Its like putting the word [Song} in the title of an .mp3 song. Dropping those 28 characters alone would improve the signal to noise ratio.

Thoughts?

• JamesLaveryJamesLavery GBBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. Also the 'MickeyMouse started a new discussion:' bit is almost irrelevant too.

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

@JamesLavery said:
    I agree. Also the 'MickeyMouse started a new discussion:' bit is almost irrelevant too.

True. New Discussion: {threadtitle} and New Comment: {threadtitle} would be great and differentiates if its a new thread or a comment on an existing thread.

PROVIDED the poster's name is somewhere in the body. Its nice to be able to set up a filter that auto-deletes posts based on user name. In the body works just as well as in the title.

• JamesMontemagnoJamesMontemagno USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

Hey there! I reached out to the forum provider to see what we can do :)