What Push library / service do you guys use ?

Hi there,

We have used PushSharp library on our own servers for many years, but as it is not maintained anymore and Google now is moving push from GCM to FCM, we are looking into using a new library / service ?

We push both to the iOS and Android platform.

So, what services are you guys using ?

Answers

• JamesLaveryJamesLavery GBBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

I've used FCM on two projects - for iOS and Android apps in both cases.

• LandLuLandLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

You could also try Azure notification hub: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/notification-hubs/

• TonyGodtTonyGodt DKMember ✭✭

@JamesLavery said:

Interesting - I have decided to go the Google Firebase way, as I already use it and that its free!

@JamesLavery said:

So how do you decide if you are sending via "Sandbox" or "Production" ?

@TonyGodt
    There is no Sandbox or Production switch in the message composer.
    Subscribe your Sandbox devices to a particular topic and the Production devices to another topic.
    Send to different environments through different topics.

But I do no use topics.

I only push directly to individual devices.

The Firebase config has support for uploading both sandbox / produktion certificates ...

@TonyGodt This is only used for iOS. When we use the development certificate to test app, we need the corresponding sandbox apns certificate.
    So do the production certificate.

I know.

But how do I know if I test against sandbox or production ?

I that decided by the distribution certificate ?

@TonyGodt FCM can't deliver messages depending on certificate's type. You have to register different topics for different environments.

But I am talking iOS now - hence the talk about sandbox / production

@TonyGodt No. Can't do that even on iOS. Do you have problems with implementing topics? It is not difficult to subscribe.

Never used it .... just replaced the push backend from PushSharp to Firebase
    Ok. I will give it a read - thanks 👍
    As said above, you don't need sandbox/production certificates any more - which makes life simpler.

The use of topics etc depends on how you intend to used PNs. Are you sending to a population/group, or individuals? If the former then topics are a solution. If the latter then you need to store and manage individual PN device tokens and send to specific tokens.
    I only send to individuals.
  • RHudsonRHudson CAMember ✭✭✭

I use OneSignal. https://documentation.onesignal.com/docs

It has a Xamarin Forms compatible api and some great extra features.

• You can send the push immediately or schedule for a future date. I use this for sending reminder notifications. Fire and forget.

• Delivery report. Track all sorts of metrics on their website. See which pushes succeeded, who opened them and when.

• See what devices are registered to receive pushes (ip address, device type, app version, language, last active, etc)

OneSignal does look very good. It's not free (above a number of subscribers), but that could be offset by its features.

It seems to have a disadvantage (on a short read of the documentation) compared with FCM/APNS that iOS apps won't receive notifications if they have been swipe-killed.
  • RHudsonRHudson CAMember ✭✭✭
    edited May 7

@JamesLavery

Yes it's free. Unlimited push notifications. There's a 30k limit for web subscribers.

I'm not sure where you read about the swipe-killed problem. But it's a gateway to FCM/APNS so the notifications behave exactly as the native counterparts.

If the app is running, you can hook the onReceived event.
    But you're right, if a push is received while the app is not running, then the notification is displayed on the phone's home screen statusbar. Tapping it launches the app. I think that's pretty normal though.

OneSignal looks amazing 👍 thanks for the tip