How to make Android emulator utilize Hyper-V

JiriMatejkaJiriMatejka CZMember ✭✭✭
edited April 9 in General

Hi all,

am using Xamarin to debug Xamarin.Forms and Xamarin.Android apps in Android emulators. To make the debugging much faster I tried to setup running Android Emulator via Hyper-V.

Followed instructions at
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/android/get-started/installation/android-emulator/hardware-acceleration?pivots=windows
Have relevant Win10 build, Hypervisor is enabled, installed relevant SDK Tools and the emulators are x86 based.

But it still very very slow, I suspect it does not utilize Hyper-V.

Also I don't see the Android emulators among virtual machines in Hyper-V Manager. Is it supposed to be listed there? Should I add it somehow?

CPU supports virtualization, I run a Win7 machine within Hyper-V without issues.

Are there any other steps needed?

thanks for any ideas.

Jiri

• kentuckerkentucker USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the android emulator you are using a x86 image? Hyper-V wont work with arm images.

• JiriMatejkaJiriMatejka CZMember ✭✭✭

Yes, it is. Tried to run an arm based image which is much slower, so maybe the x86 images are using HyperV. But am surprised how slow it is. Some time ago I used the Visual Studio Emulator for Android that is much faster but unfortunately deprecated.

• JamesMontemagnoJamesMontemagno USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

Did you enable the Windows Hypervisor Platform?

You would want to use an x86 image.

I am a bit confused by: CPU supports virtualization, I run a Win7 machine within Hyper-V without issues.

• JiriMatejkaJiriMatejka CZMember ✭✭✭

@JamesMontemagno said:
    Did you enable the Windows Hypervisor Platform?

You would want to use an x86 image.

I am a bit confused by: CPU supports virtualization, I run a Win7 machine within Hyper-V without issues.

Yes, I did. Also am using x86 image.

Have a laptop with W10 Pro and Hyper-V enabled. Within the Hyper-V I am running Win7 machine (for testing purposes etc.), I consider it as a proof that virtualization is enabled and works ok.

Thanks for your comment.

• JamesMontemagnoJamesMontemagno USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

Ahhhh I see what you are saying now.

Can you validate what version of the Android Emulator you have in the Android SDK manager, also when you run systeminfo what do you get back?

Are you able to record a video of what you are seeing?

• onurcanyilmazonurcanyilmaz Member ✭✭
    edited May 25

hello, I fixed this problem;
    this is my issue
    i writed step step
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/156758/visual-studio-2019-android-emulator-not-started

• gracejohngracejohn Member

Hello Jiri,

You are doing great here on xamarin, we are a new publisher website and lot of our content is ranking on Google (we are more on [android emulators]

I would be thankful if you share your content on our web.

Thanks,