Updated VS Mac and it broke Xamarin.iOS VS 2017 for Windows

DavidJadeDavidJade USBeta ✭✭

I recently updated both VS 2017 and VS for Mac and now VS for Windows says that there is a mismatched Xamarin.iOS version and I can no longer build my projects.

VS Win is Xamarin.iOS 12.4
VS Mac is Xamarin.iOS 12.6

VS Win installed is 15.9.11 released today but it does not contain the same Xamarin.iOS version as the most recent VS Mac, also installed today.

How can this be fixed? I cannot update to VS Win 2019 at this point. VS 2017 gives me the option to override the Xamarin.iOS SDK on the Mac but this seems like a drastic solution.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this working again? Is there a manual download for Xamarin.iOS 12.6 for VS 2017 (I cannot seem to find one).

Thanks

• rlaskerrlasker Member ✭✭

In the same boat. Originally it started because I suddenly got a Mac Connection mismatch between Mono versions. My VS 2017 was suddenly looking for 5.18 and my Mac had 5.16 even though I have been coding on it all day. So I updated Visual Studio on my Mac but did not realize it was updating VS for Mac to 2019. Now I have the same Mono versions but now VS 2017 is expecting Xamarin.iOS SDK 12.4 but my Mac has 12.6.

Last time something like this happened VS got a new update the very next day.

• DavidJadeDavidJade USBeta ✭✭

Yes - that is exactly how this started for me as well, with a Mono version mismatch. I too also did not realize until too late that it was the 2019 update on the Mac side when I updated it all.

• CTurnerCTurner Member

I also encountered this issue today. I eventually let VS for Windows downgrade the Xamarin.iOS SDK on my Mac to version 12.4 and was able to pair again. Not ideal but at least I can get back to work now.

• ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@CTurner said:
    I also encountered this issue today. I eventually let VS for Windows downgrade the Xamarin.iOS SDK on my Mac to version 12.4 and was able to pair again. Not ideal but at least I can get back to work now.

If you downgrade the iOS SDK on Mac, then can you still use VS on Mac and VS2019 on Windows? Vs2019 on Windows has got iOS 12.6.

I have applied all the upgrades to VS2017 and now it is version 15.9.11. Can't I upgrade iOS SDK on VS2017 to 12.6?

@ShantimohanElchuri said:

I have applied all the upgrades to VS2017 and now it is version 15.9.11. Can't I upgrade iOS SDK on VS2017 to 12.6?

So far I have not found a way to apply iOS SDK 12.6 in VS 2017

Even going to the xamarin release site I only see the VS 2017 15.9 update with 12.4 ... no mention of 12.6. I'm starting to believe downgrade is the only option.

https://releases.xamarin.com/category/xamarin-ios/

@rlasker said:

So far I have not found a way to apply iOS SDK 12.6 in VS 2017

Currently I am pursuing only one app. Copied it to another drive and tested with VS2019. There were no issues, may be because I am not using any extraordinary Nuget Packages besides SQLite and JSON.

So I am switching to VS2019 and hope I face no issues when my other apps are also actively developed.

• CTurnerCTurner Member

If you downgrade the iOS SDK on Mac, then can you still use VS on Mac and VS2019 on Windows? Vs2019 on Windows has got iOS 12.6.

If you downgrade Xamarin.iOS on the Mac I don't think you can use VS2019, because it ships with 12.6.

For me, upgrading to VS2019 isn't an option right now and I just needed to get on with my work. Downgrading the Mac to 12.4 let me get past this blocker. I couldn't find a way to upgrade VS2017 to Xamarin.iOS 12.6 in a reasonable time. If you do, please post here :smile:

• ZoliZoli NLMember ✭✭✭

I have the same issue.
    @CTurner : "Downgrading the Mac to 12.4 let me get past this blocker."
    You kept VS2019 on MAC, and downgraded Xamarin.iOS to 12.4, or you also had to downgrade VS2019 -> 2017 on your MAC?

• pasteusernameherepasteusernamehere Member ✭✭

Keep VS2019 on Mac and downgrade Xamarin.iOS to 12.4. No need to downgrade VS to 2017.

• SquidSquid Member ✭✭

I am also having this issue. I was considering filing a bug/issue report on the Xamarin.iOS Github page, but I wasn't sure if this was technically more of a VS issue.

Regardless, I cannot upgrade to VS2019 and it would be a rather large pain to downgrade the Xamarin.iOS version on the Mac, so I'm hoping that they push a 12.6 version for VS 2017 on Windows...

I have switched to VS 2019 and everything works fine now. I would like to better understand why the Mono version changed suddenly which started this cascade of events. I am also very discouraged that the VS on Mac update did not better convey that it would upgrade my VS version to 2019 IN PLACE especially given that there would be no way to connect to my Mac using VS 2017. This is poor planning IMO.

• SquidSquid Member ✭✭

@rlasker said:
    I have switched to VS 2019 and everything works fine now. I would like to better understand why the Mono version changed suddenly which started this cascade of events. I am also very discouraged that the VS on Mac update did not better convey that it would upgrade my VS version to 2019 IN PLACE especially given that there would be no way to connect to my Mac using VS 2017. This is poor planning IMO.

This. I also would like to know why would they only push 12.6 for VS 2019. Why not push the update for VS 2017 and 2019 and make for a seamless transition/help those of us that cannot upgrade to 2019 for whatever reason?

• ZoliZoli NLMember ✭✭✭
    edited April 3

@pasteusernamehere :
    Great. How can I do that on the Mac? I could not find such option in Mac/VS2019.
    I tried from Win/VS2017 (that offered to install 12.4 on the Mac during connection), but it fails to install, and asks me to do on the Mac directly.

• ZoliZoli NLMember ✭✭✭
    edited April 3

(deleted)

• JasonRSobyJasonRSoby USMember
    edited April 3

@Squid said:
    I am also having this issue. I was considering filing a bug/issue report on the Xamarin.iOS Github page, but I wasn't sure if this was technically more of a VS issue.

It's a bug of some sort so they might as well know about it. I can't post links yet, but the page on the Xamarin Releases pages indicates 15.9.11 includes this.

releasesDOTxamarinDOTcom/category/xamarin-ios/
    Support for Xcode 10.2 Stable is included in Visual Studio 2017 version 15.9.11. Please check for updates and install the latest 15.9.11 update.

@Zoli said:
    @pasteusernamehere :
    Great. How can I do that on the Mac? I could not find such option in Mac/VS2019.
    I tried from Win/VS2017 (that offered to install 12.4 on the Mac during connection), but it fails to install, and asks me to do on the Mac directly.

Actually just open VS for Mac. It will automatically check for updates and download them. Once all of them are downloaded it display the update popup. Or go to menu Visual Studio -> Check for Updates. But as mentioned in other posts, if you upgrade VS for Mac, it will install Xamarin iOS 12.6.

They should have updated the VS2017 Mac Connection Bridge to the one that is bundled with Xamarin.iOS 12.6. May be some technical issues in doing that.

But if you want to use VS2017, then don't upgrade VS for Mac to 8.0 version.

• JasonRSobyJasonRSoby USMember

@rlasker said:
    It may include support for Xcode 10.2 but it ships with Xamarin.iOS SDK 12.4.

I was thinking that maybe it should have been included but wasn't. That was my thinking at the time. They can't have just discontinued support for VS2017 so it SEEMS like an oversight, but who knows.

• BobWhittenBobWhitten USMember ✭✭

@rlasker -- thanks, but your comment came just after I started the upgrade. Is there a way to put Xamarin.iOS SDK 12.6 on VS2017? Or, a way to put the VS for Mac back to SDK 12.4?

• ZoliZoli NLMember ✭✭✭
    edited April 3

I upgraded to VS2019, so far all looks fine.

I suggest you to to try this, as VS2019 and VS2017 are side-by-side installations, so they won't bother each other. If your project has issues with VS2019, you can still wait for the VS2017 patch, and continue working on that.

@BobWhitten said:
    @rlasker -- thanks, but your comment came just after I started the upgrade. Is there a way to put Xamarin.iOS SDK 12.6 on VS2017? Or, a way to put the VS for Mac back to SDK 12.4?

So far I haven't found a way to upgrade iOS SDK in VS 2017.

• SquidSquid Member ✭✭

@DavidJade said:
    FYI, I created an issue for VS 2017 over on the VS feedback web site. It has been triaged to the engineering team. Maybe it could use some votes.

Thank you for doing that. I was going to go and report it earlier and then I noticed someone had already done it. But hopefully they give us 12.6 for VS 2017

• CTurnerCTurner Member

@Zoli said:
    I have the same issue.
    @CTurner : "Downgrading the Mac to 12.4 let me get past this blocker."
    You kept VS2019 on MAC, and downgraded Xamarin.iOS to 12.4, or you also had to downgrade VS2019 -> 2017 on your MAC?

Sorry, I see how that was ambiguous: I kept VS2019 on Mac and allowed VS2017 on Windows to downgrade Xamarin.iOS to 12.4.

• BobWhittenBobWhitten USMember ✭✭

@rlasker -- Thanks for trying. I eventually tried VS2019 Community, and it seems to be doing what I need it to do.
    This whole thing for me was due to udpating my phone last week sometime, while I was off this project. Then I needed XCode 10.2, but before that i needed to install Mojave on the Mac -- and then do an update before it would let me update XCode (the Xcode update took about THREE HOURS). Then, I had the trouble with mis-match, so I went into VS for Mac, which updated to 2019...

So, it's been a couple of days of updates...

• DavidJadeDavidJade USBeta ✭✭

FYI, MSFT has closed this issue as "not a bug". MSFT has stated that this is expected and you have to downgrade the Xamarin.iOS SDK if you want to continue to use VS 2017 (and ignore the update prompts in VS Mac 2019 going forward).

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/513829/xamarin-ios-sdk-mismatch-after-update.html

• gviddygviddy USMember ✭✭

Microsoft(Xamarin) can NEVER do a release without bugs. Their QA process is so poor, it is always up to the community to find hacks to their mistakes, anyhow..

Download this to your Mac and install, everything should now work with VS 2017 once again.

https://dl.xamarin.com/MonoTouch/Mac/xamarin.ios-12.4.0.64.pkg

• AntDCAntDC Member

So I am here too.....(VS 2017 Windows 10)

The mono version intsallled on the MAc may not be compatible with this version of Visual Studio. Would you like us to intsll Mono '5.18' for you? This will overwrite any existing Mono installations on your Mac.

The thing is that this happenned inexplicably. One day all was well, the next not.

What I find really strange is that on the Mac in /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions I have 5.18.0 dated 1st Mar and 5.16.0 dated 28th Feb. The current shortcut points to 5.16.0?

• SteveMcKisicSteveMcKisic USMember ✭✭

This is incredibly frustrating. I experienced the same issue as others in this thread where VS 2017 updated Mono unsolicited by me, and now I am unable to move forward with my cross-platform mobile development without upgrading to VS 2019 - which is the last thing I want to do right now. For developers who use third party libraries in conjunction with our Xamarin projects (such as Monogame for example), moving to VS 2019 may not be feasible one week after the official VS2019 release.

Now, I'm looking at wasting several hours either attempting to manually get my 3rd party project templates and libraries working with VS 2019 (which may not even be possible) or carefully manually reverting the recent unsolicited updates and hope for no lingering disruptive issues. Thanks a lot.

At this point, I would prefer to go back to the $1,500+ per year subscriptions if I could get some decent stability to the platform upgrade process, so my development work doesn't come to a grinding halt when an unexpected forced update occurs.

(Edited for profanity)

• SteveMcKisicSteveMcKisic USMember ✭✭

Back to developing in VS2017. I don't know what step(s) fixed the issue(s), but here's my experience.

What happened:

• On Windows PC, encountered "Pair to Mac" Mono version mismatch message due to unexpected VS2017 Mono version update
    • On Mac Build machine, updated VS for Mac
    • On Windows PC, encountered "Pair to Mac" Xamarin version mismatch message
    • On Mac Build machine, noticed VS for Mac was now 2019 instead of 2017
    • Started researching issue and realized what happened after reading through this article

What fixed the issue:

• On Mac Build machine, downgraded VS for Mac to 2017 by 1) moving "Visual Studio" to trash, and 2) downloading and installing "Visual Studio 2017 for Mac"
    • On Mac Build machine, ignored any automatic updates and installed Xamarin.iOS 12.4.0.64 update from @gviddy 's link
    • On Windows PC, checked for available VS2017 updates and ran an update to ensure I'm using latest version 15.9.11
    • On Windows PC, restarted Visual Studio 2017
    • Restarted Mac Build machine, continued to ignore any automatic updates, and re-added/authorized Apple Developer Account in Visual Studio 2017 for Mac
    • Profit
    edited April 10

FYI, VS 2019 already has an update to 16.0.. If you install this it will install Xamarin.iOS 12.8. If you go to your VS 2019 on Mac and check updates you will also see updates available for VS for Mac to 8.0.2.23, Xamarin.iOS to 12.8.0.0, and Xamarin.Mac to 5.8.0.0.

I feel like there should be a sticky thread at the top of these forums to help track this.

• StephenHauckStephenHauck USMember ✭✭✭

So where do you find the download link ?
    I need 12.6.0.25

Thanks

• StephenHauckStephenHauck USMember ✭✭✭

Bump .. anyone .. would like to get this resolved this evening .....
    Thanks in advance for any help !

edited April 11

@StephenHauck said:
    So where do you find the download link ?
    I need 12.6.0.25

Thanks

No luck with a quick Google. Perhaps you can dig through the GitHub releases and if not ask one of the Xamarin Devs.
    https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin-macios/releases

It is very strange that it is so hard to get specific releases.

This link indicates it rolled into VS for Mac version 8.0
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/ios/release-notes/12/12.6#april-2-2019---xamarinios-126025

• FernandoVMFernandoVM BRMember ✭✭

Dear, please, I need the download links to last versions of VS (for windows and for MAC) compatible with xcode 10.1. Unfortunately I had updated my VS 2019 (for windows and for MAC) and now my MAC build machine is unusefull, because it is not compatible with xcode 10.2. :'( :'( :'(

I think that I will need reinstall the VS 2019 16.0 (after uninstall the 16.0.1 version) on windows and the last VS for MAC compatible (what version exactly?). Is it?

Somebody has the links to the exactly versions?

• DominicNDominicN USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai

You'll be able to download an installer for the latest version of Visual Studio 2017 via my.visualstudio.com.

Make sure to uninstall the 2019 installation using the following document:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/mac/uninstall?view=vsmac-2019

• ZoliZoli NLMember ✭✭✭
    edited April 25

Note, if you upgrade to VS2019, (currently the latest is 16.0.2), it's not compatible with Windows 7, even if they say so in the release notes. The Android project settings is completely broken. Take care, if you don't want to get stuck like me.

• XandManXandMan USMember ✭✭

@Squid said:

@rlasker said:

This. I also would like to know why would they only push 12.6 for VS 2019. Why not push the update for VS 2017 and 2019 and make for a seamless transition/help those of us that cannot upgrade to 2019 for whatever reason?

A seamless update/upgrade would be awesome! However, it seems that micro-management always gets in the way.

My Visual Studio 2017 & iOS development, is currently limited to the latest update my MacBook Pro could take (10.1) a few months ago.

Sadly, Visual Studio 2019 shipped with compatibility for XCode 10.2 and above.
    I cant see any reason that Visual Studio 2019 can't be backwards compatible with XCode 10.1 especially since 2017 is.

I filed an issue on the Visual Studio Developer Community, in hopes that they will address this issue.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/547682/visual-studio-2019-is-not-compatible-with-xcode-10.html

Any follows ups and support over there could help accelerate this repair for those of us with being held back by this.