Suggestion about the Starter Edition

knocteknocte GBMember ✭✭

Hi, first of all congrats on the 2.0 release!

I think you guys have done a good job on "refactoring" the pricing models. Having a cheaper edition "Indie" is great, and a free Starter edition too.

But I was thinking about the limitation of the Starter Edition: the app size. It makes sense, it's reasonable. But I was going to suggest you that you included a policy in this edition about the app size: you could allow surpassing the app size limit if and only if the resulting code was public before publishing to the app store.

I know "Public" is kind of fuzzy. Maybe define "Public" as in MIT/X11 licence and, if the assembly is a library, published under the new Components Store? (Xamarin Studio could make sure to publish on the latter automatically, and check that the hash of the sources is the same as the sources published on some public repo -- github/bitbucket/...).

Sorry if this sounds stupid, I haven't done any development on mobile yet but I'm just waiting for the right opportunity. If this opportunity means that I have no limits in "opensource" mode, sounds reasonable. What I generate under this mode can end up being a demo to my coworkers/boss to pitch in about using Xamarin products, but if I don't achieve that, then at least it's opensource so others that use the ecosystem can benefit. Otherwise making a really good demo may be difficult with the app size limit?

Does that make sense?
Thanks for reading.
Andres

PS: This would mean the edition should be maybe renamed to "Starter/Altruist" edition...

• I like this idea! Allowing to create open source apps without a file size limit is the least possible thing you could do to support the open source scene - without which xamarin maybe would not be exist at all today!

• knocteknocte GBMember ✭✭

Yeah, it would be also a marketing tool in the same way the MVPs got free licenses recently.

I don't intend to suggest something that would cause Xamaring make less money. If that was the case, you would have already some developers that purchased Xamarin for just developing open source, right? Do you have any of those customers as of today. I guess the answer is no. Therefore, you don't lose any market share. You just gain marketing.

• Exactly. The wider Xamarin Studio and your SDKs spread, the more attention will be caused!
    And with a "no commercial" policy you wouldn't even lose money!

• knocteknocte GBMember ✭✭

In case anyone is interested, an update was posted by a Xamarin employee about this in UserVoice: http://xamarin.uservoice.com/forums/144858-xamarin-suggestions/suggestions/2640864-free-license-for-open-source-project

\o/