Azure Push Notification

siposetuxumasiposetuxuma USMember ✭✭

Hi Guy

I have a problem with Push notifications which works sometimes and just stops working after a while when a user is no longer using the app. My app registers for push notification with Azure using Web API 2.0 back end when it launches . After a user has successfully logged in to the app , it then updates the registration record to add the username as Tag . According to my knowledge Azure registration has a long life span which is supposed to be sometime in 9999/12/31 23:59:59. My question is , Does both PNS handlers for Android FCM and IOS APNS expires , If they do how can I register the app with Azure again if the user is not using the app for sometime so they wont miss notifications?

Answers

• LandLuLandLu Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

According to this documentation https://developer.apple.com/support/certificates/, we will know if the APNS Certificate expires, you can no longer send push notifications to your app. But for the apps which has been installed on the user's device, it won't be affected if your Apple Developer Program membership is valid. It means the older user can't receive the notification unless he updates his app. We can't break this rule, it's Apple's scope.
    But we could post a request at launching time, upload this app's version to the server. Then we could check whether it consumes a valid APNS certificate. If not, warn the user to update his app on Store.

• siposetuxumasiposetuxuma USMember ✭✭
    edited March 13

@LandLu Thanks for your response I appreciate . All my certificates are up to date but My app still doesn't receive notification sometimes until I launch it and login again on both Android and IOS. Today what I have noticed while troubleshooting is that some registration get deleted automatically by Azure Notification hub for both platforms and am not sure why this behavior. I am check the registrations using Visual studio Server explorer . Am still investigating the cause.