WinForms alternative for both macOS and Windows

Hello,

I have been requested to write an application that will run on windows and macOS. I did a test application with C# .net WinForms which are the requested specs. It worked with mono in x86 and not x64 because Carbon has not been ported to x64 ( and won't be to my understanding. ) However MacOS will be dropping x86 shortly so this seems like a very poor road to go down at the moment. Xamarin has come up and I am trying to get a grasp on what exactly it can do.
Will Xamarin let me develop on either Windows or MacOS for a target platform of Windows and MacOS. I see a lot about android and iOS but macOS and Windows are all I need the cross platform for.

Thank you.

Best Answer

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

I did a test application with C# .net WinForms which are the requested specs.

Windows Forms has been end-of-life for approaching 2 decades.

Are you sure that's what someone is requesting? I wouldn't touch that project for a year's salary.

• BryonMBryonM Member ✭✭

@ClintStLaurent said:

I did a test application with C# .net WinForms which are the requested specs.

Windows Forms has been end-of-life for approaching 2 decades.

Are you sure that's what someone is requesting? I wouldn't touch that project for a year's salary.

WinForms was mentioned however not required. It was just the example GUI provided. That is why I am looking for a more sane approach.

Ok... So in the end you're really saying

I need to make a Xamarin app that runs on WIndows UWP and MacOS

Ok So what's the question?

• BryonMBryonM Member ✭✭

@ClintStLaurent said:
    Ok... So in the end you're really saying

I need to make a Xamarin app that runs on WIndows UWP and MacOS

Ok So what's the question?

Ok So I am assuming it is possible. I will have to keep looking around for how to do that then.

• BryonMBryonM Member ✭✭

@ClintStLaurent said:
    There's a ton of articles on making Xamarin applications.

Thanks.

• BryonMBryonM Member ✭✭

@ClintStLaurent said:
    There's a ton of articles on making Xamarin applications.

Adding MacOS was still preview as of 2017 - its now 2019 - I'm reasonable certain it shouldn't be much of an issue compared with doing Android/UWP/iOS apps. Its just one more platform your app would run on.

The next thought, and one often overlooked... Does it even require a full computer? What is the actual use of the app? As an iOS app it could run on an AppleTV gen4 - which is more than enough for large percentage of apps such as small point of sale and dedicated single-app needs. Plus without a full blown computer you keep the operator from screwing with stuff they don't need to get in to.

It needs to run on Windows and Mac. It is a rewrite of a very old objective C application that is a Database/Terminal for a manufacturing company handling work orders, invoicing, etc.

@BryonM said:
    is a Database/Terminal for a manufacturing company handling work orders, invoicing, etc.

So... again... Why does it need to be on a full blown computer if its just a terminal app? Really sounds like it acts like an embedded device kind of use. Something were a touchscreen tablet or AppleTV would act like a dedicated device.

People often overlook how a $200 device is a good choice for a single-use need instead of a $1500 computer.

Just sayin'

• BryonMBryonM Member ✭✭

@ClintStLaurent said:

@BryonM said:
    is a Database/Terminal for a manufacturing company handling work orders, invoicing, etc.

So... again... Why does it need to be on a full blown computer if its just a terminal app? Really sounds like it acts like an embedded device kind of use. Something were a touchscreen tablet or AppleTV would act like a dedicated device.

People often overlook how a $200 device is a good choice for a single-use need instead of a $1500 computer.

Just sayin'

Right I agree, it was already mentioned that it running on a raspi would be a benefit. So although this is a good point to bring up does it change my original question asking if an Xamarin app could run on a Windows Machine and MacOX. Most of what I look up for Xamarin focuses on mobile development