Xamarin breaks Visual Studio interface

Brian123Brian123 Member

Hi, I thought I would try out Xamarin, no previous experience. So I am trying to follow the Hello World app walk through. I did not get very far, as soon as I open the layout visual studio seems to break. The tool box will not open, I can't get to any properties, even the top menu no longer works properly with the drop downs opening in different parts of the screen, or on a different screen. Much of the time the layout will not open at all.

Is there an update I am missing or what is going on here ?

Thanks

Answers

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

@Brian123 said:
    as soon as I open the layout visual studio seems to break. The tool box will not open

What do you mean by "layout"? Are you expecting a drag & drop form designer (like the old VB one)? If so, there isn't one for Xamarin.Forms (if it is Xamarin.Forms you are referring to, as opposed to Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS).

If you post a screenshot, I or somebody else will hopefully be able to point you in the right direction.

• Brian123Brian123 Member

Hi, I mean the .axml files under Resources - layout, nothing works when I try to open one of these, and now it will not even open. I've tried closing and opening VS and also starting fresh but nothing works.

The forum is not letting me post the image :(

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

@Brian123 said:
    Hi, I mean the .axml files under Resources - layout, nothing works when I try to open one of these, and now it will not even open. I've tried closing and opening VS and also starting fresh but nothing works.

I'm assuming that this is for Xamarin.Android then?

Regardless, I suggest firing up the Visual Studio Installer again, and Select All options for installation (assuming that you have the disk space). Once the installer is complete, I recommend re-starting your PC before attempting to use VS, even if it doesn't say that you have to.

• Brian123Brian123 Member

Re install seems to have solved the problem, thanks :)