Conflicting CarouselViews?

Getting this error:

Error CS0433: The type 'CarouselView' exists in both 'Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' and 'Xamarin.Forms.Core, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' (CS0433)

Apparently there's a new version of CarouselView, and it's messing up the code I'd already written?

Is there any way to tell this to go away and let me keep using the code that already works?

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

take out the nuget for the outdated control.
    I'm 90% certain the new one rolled into Forms will work without problem.
    At most you'll have an hour of petty changes to be up to date.

• YorkGoYorkGo CNMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited February 22

Your Xamarin.Forms version should be higher than 3.6. Have a look at this: #pull/5044, CarouselView will be merged into Xamarin.Forms in vNext (3.6.0).

Remove Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView from your solution or downgrade your Xamarin.Forms version( < 3.6) will resolve this issue.

• igorkr_10igorkr_10 Member ✭✭✭

@YorkGo said:
    Your Xamarin.Forms version should be higher than 3.6. Have a look at this: #pull/5044, CarouselView will be merged into Xamarin.Forms in vNext (3.6.0).

Remove Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView from your solution or downgrade your Xamarin.Forms version( < 3.6) will resolve this issue.

Do you have any dates when new CarouselView and improved CollectionView will be released?

• igorkr_10igorkr_10 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 22

@CalmBreathsSlowPulse said:
    Getting this error:

Error CS0433: The type 'CarouselView' exists in both 'Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' and 'Xamarin.Forms.Core, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' (CS0433)

Apparently there's a new version of CarouselView, and it's messing up the code I'd already written?

Is there any way to tell this to go away and let me keep using the code that already works?

I had same issue. Removing all about old CarouselView in xaml helped. The problem is that in project are registered two Carousels and compiler don't know which of them is actual.
    Anyway it is temporarily problem because new CarouselView will be in XF as soon as possible.

• FYI, it does not seem to be an easy fix as the newer version is not feature complete nor fully cross-platform compatible. Why would they break my existing code in preference for a version that they admit doesn't fully work yet?

• AndreiMisiukevich_AndreiMisiukevich_ USMember ✭✭✭✭

Should work https://github.com/AndreiMisiukevich/CardView (external package)

• Hi @AndreiMisiukevich_ , your control looks very nice but from the .gifs it looks bound to the one card size for the pages, so ATM I'm evaluating alexrainman's CarouselView. I'm very angry at Xamarin powers that be for breaking my control that was working just fine, so I am definitely interested in a third-party package tho.

@CalmBreathsSlowPulse :) you can use this control as you wish. So it works the same as alexrainman's CarouselView. But have some advantages like CoverFlowView, CardsView and more

• DFoulkDFoulk USMember ✭✭

@CalmBreathsSlowPulse - Just a heads-up... It appears that alexrainman is no longer supporting the plugin. It does not play well with Xamarin.Forms 3.X projects. I had to clone his project and modify it in more than one place to get it to work. We are abandoning ship in the very near future because of this...

@DFoulk said:
    @CalmBreathsSlowPulse - Just a heads-up... It appears that alexrainman is no longer supporting the plugin. It does not play well with Xamarin.Forms 3.X projects. I had to clone his project and modify it in more than one place to get it to work. We are abandoning ship in the very near future because of this...

try https://github.com/AndreiMisiukevich/CardView
    it has several animation types (check GIF on github)

The preview CarouselView nuget ended when it was rolled into the current version of Xamarin.Forms.
    I seriously doubt its any big deal or change. Just remove the preview nuget and update Xamarin.Forms to the current version where it is included.

edited May 20

@ClintStLaurent said:
    The preview CarouselView nuget ended when it was rolled into the current version of Xamarin.Forms.
    I seriously doubt its any big deal or change. Just remove the preview nuget and update Xamarin.Forms to the current version where it is included.

Is the new CarouselView "finished" in Xamarin.Forms 3.6 (current)? I was looking at the Xamarin.Forms GitHub and it looked like the new CarouselView was still being developed (at least for 4.0)...

I'll just see for myself, but I'd be curious to hear if anyone is using it successfully in 3.6!

Thanks

@AndreiMisiukevich_ said:

@DFoulk said:

try https://github.com/AndreiMisiukevich/CardView
    it has several animation types (check GIF on github)

I will check it out, thanks!

@DFoulk said:
    Is the new CarouselView "finished" in Xamarin.Forms 3.6 (current)?

Is anything ever "finished" in Xamarin. LOL

I have no idea about states of such things. I don't work for Xamarin. I'm just a forum site member here like you.

Was just pointing out it shouldn't be a conflict or a problem that would stop you from developing.

@ClintStLaurent said:

@DFoulk said:

I have no idea about states of such things. I don't work for Xamarin. I'm just a forum site member here like you.

Was just pointing out it shouldn't be a conflict or a problem that would stop you from developing.

I didn't assume you did brother... I was just asking if you or anyone can confirm 3.6 actually contains a full CarouselView. Thanks for your time.

@ClintStLaurent said:

@DFoulk said:

And no- nothing is ever finished! hehe