Unable to log into Xamarin account in Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 edition

Anders_AAnders_A USMember ✭✭

I am having an issue, logging into my Xamarin account through Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 edition.

I got my presently installed Visual Studio version during my education, when it was given to us by my college, which back then provided it under a free software licensing agreement with Microsoft (for teaching & learning purposes). During the last semester, I worked on my final project using Xamarin (free version). This all happened during the first half of 2017 and I never ever had any issues logging into my Xamarin account through Visual Studio Enterprise.

Today, I wanted to work with this whole setup again and started up Visual Studio, then went to Tools --> Xamarin Account and was met by the following login screen...

I think that back in 2017, I just had to press the "Log In"-button and was ready to go and use Xamarin. However, today after not having used the aforementioned setup for the past 1½ years, clicking on this button opens the following dialogue...

I can remember my e-mail, but unfortunately all of my commonly used passwords don't seem to let me log in anymore.

Clicking the "Reset password"-link leads me briefly to - first - the reset-URL...

https://store.xamarin.com/account/recoverpassword

...which however never loads, but just redirects immediately to the following page...

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/pricing/https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/pricing/

...giving an overview of Visual Studio subscription pricing etc.

This doesn't make any sense as I...

a) cannot log into my Xamarin-account nor reset my password through the "Reset password"-link which is designated for this purpose and

b) have a free license for the present Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 as well as for the Xamarin framework (which is free by definition)

My question now is..., how can I log into my Xamarin account and get back to using the whole setup for app development?

Looking forward to any reply.

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

Similar situation here. I originally paid for VS Enterprise myself, then went back to studying and had academic access, then was on the BizSpark program. Then, recently, my access disappeared. It wouldn't be the end of the world, but I had some seriously large UML projects showing the architecture/design of things I have been working on. As Microsoft killed off the UML support in VS2017 (it seems I was one of the few people ever to use it), I was reliant on VS2015 Enterprise for continued access to that UML. Completely scuppered. Not sure who to ask about this. The Volume Licensing web portal is the most confusing thing ever presented to customers, so I'm not keen to try via that (hoping that one day Microsoft will kill off the Volume Licensing portal). @DavidOrtinau - any ideas?

• Anders_AAnders_A USMember ✭✭

Or @JohnMiller ...? Could you get on this, maybe? Thanks in advance.

Well, I didn't solve this but ended with a compromise and workaround. So for anybody else and for what it's worth, I downloaded and installed VS 2017 Community separately and got the Xamarin plugin together with Live Player and the possibility to deploy apps to my Samsung to work.

I know that this doesn't solve the initial problem but at least, I can work with Xamarin development again.

It would be nice if some staff would get on the other issue at some point and give us a hint on what to do.

Just an update...

I was informed that apparently the support for Visual Studio 2015 and Xamarin has been discontinued and that developers should switch to the latest version of Visual Studio instead.

Hope this will help some.

It's not ideal, but I installed a free trial version of Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise onto a machine that hadn't had it installed before. That allowed me to open my UML project and using an extension and various printer options, exported the diagrams so that I can at least view them outside of Visual Studio. That's good enough for me for the moment, although I still wish that Microsoft would bring back the UML tools. I may have been one of only 4 people globally who ever used them (I exaggerate, it might have been 5), but they were actually pretty darned good.

@JohnHardman said:
    It's not ideal, but I installed a free trial version of Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise onto a machine that hadn't had it installed before. That allowed me to open my UML project and using an extension and various printer options, exported the diagrams so that I can at least view them outside of Visual Studio. That's good enough for me for the moment, although I still wish that Microsoft would bring back the UML tools. I may have been one of only 4 people globally who ever used them (I exaggerate, it might have been 5), but they were actually pretty darned good.

I feel your pain and frustration. Maybe, take a look at this free open-source UML tool (we used it during our education and it works just fine). It is available for both Unix, Mac and Windows and is continuously being updated.

https://umlet.com/

Hope that helps a bit. ;)

@Anders_A said:
    I feel your pain and frustration. Maybe, take a look at this free open-source UML tool (we used it during our education and it works just fine). It is available for both Unix, Mac and Windows and is continuously being updated.

Many thanks @Anders_A . I also used Umlet as part of a degree that I completed recently. At the time, I found it clunky and so used Visual Studio's UML tools for my assignments. When I get some spare time, I'll take a look to see if Umlet has improved since then. It may be the future if Microsoft don't bring back their old UML functionality. If they're not going to do so, then they should IMHO open-source the code that was used, so that others can take over the maintenance and enhancement.