Binding a native library to Xamarin.Mac project

MatthieuDMatthieuD Member ✭✭
edited February 12 in Xamarin.Mac

Hello,

Before unifying mono APIs, I was linking a native library (Sparkle) by creating it using bmac and a .cs linking the methods of the lib in c# and then using
Dlfcn.dlopen() to load the assembly.

Worked great, but now when I want to compile the library using the latest mono version (and the latest Sparkle version), it tells me:
Could not find the type MonoMac.Foundation.NSObject in the assembly Xamarin.Mac

I have found some posts where this method was used to linked some native libraries, I just can't figure out why it does not compile anymore.
Here is a sample of the code in the .cs:

using System;
using Foundation;
using ObjCRuntime;
using AppKit;

namespace AppMac.ObjC.Frameworks
    {
        [BaseType (typeof (NSObject))]
        public partial interface LoginItem {

[Static, Export ("willStartAtLogin:")]
            bool WillStartAtLogin (string itemURL);

[Static, Export ("setStartAtLogin:enabled:")]
            void SetStartAtLogin (string itemURL, bool enabled);
        }

[BaseType (typeof (NSObject))]
        public partial interface SharedItem {

[Static, Export ("addPathToSharedItem:")]
            void AddPathToSharedItem (string path);
        }
    }

When I compile with some other Xamarin.Mac.dll, I get errors like 'BaseType not found'.

Here is how I create it:
$(XAMMAC)/bin/bmac sparkle.cs --tmpdir=xamarin -baselib=$(XAMMAC_DLL) -sourceonly xamarin/sources.list
mcs -target:library -unsafe -out:[email protected] @xamarin/sources.list -r:System.Drawing -r:$(XAMMAC_DLL)

Where XAMMAC is the path of the xamarin.mac.framework folder and XAMMAC_DLL its dll.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it not possible to do this anymore with the new unified APIs?

• ChrisHamonsChrisHamons USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

I would strongly suggest moving to a binding project instead of invoking the tooling by hand. There are multiple issues with your invocation, and the project msbuild will call things correctly for you.

If you have a reasonable reason for not using binding projects, I can dig out the correct invocation.

• MatthieuDMatthieuD Member ✭✭
    edited February 12

I totally agree. I would love to create a binding project.
    As explained in the other post I created (I will close it and continue here I guess, sorry about that), I can't succeed to link a binding project to my main project. I said it compiled and then crashed at launch, but I guess it does not even compile anymore.

Here is how I do:

• Creating the binding project, linking the outside framework (Sparkle) into the native references
    • Putting all binding methods into the ApiDefinition.cs
    • Changing to a Xamarin.Mac unsupported 4.5.2 (by adding <TargetFrameworkVersion>v4.5.2</TargetFrameworkVersion> into the .csproj) so it can be referenced by my main project (which is also on unsupported 4.5.2) ; if I stay on full or modern, it says the project has an incompatible target framework when trying to reference it into my main project
    • Reference the project into my main project
    • Compiling main project

And I have the following compilation error:

xcrun -sdk macosx clang -mmacosx-version-min=10.7 -arch x86_64 -fobjc-runtime=macosx -Wno-unguarded-availability-new -ObjC -lsqlite3 -F [loads of stuff]
    /Users/.../obj/Debug/mmp-cache/registrar.m(38214,17): warning GC27A339F: method 'deviceBrowserView:selectionDidChange:' in protocol 'IKDeviceBrowserViewDelegate' not implemented [-Wprotocol]
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Quartz.framework/Frameworks/ImageKit.framework/Headers/IKDeviceBrowserView.h:31:1: note: method 'deviceBrowserView:selectionDidChange:' declared here
    Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
      "_OBJC_CLASS_$_LoginItem", referenced from:
          objc-class-ref in registrar-5e2f13.o
      "_OBJC_CLASS_$_SharedItem", referenced from:
          objc-class-ref in registrar-5e2f13.o
    ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
    clang : error : linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

I feel like I am tinkering my way to a solution and it makes me go deeper into tinkering afterward.
    Do you have an idea on why I get this error here and how it can be fixed? Or am I doing something wrong in the first place?

Can you run file on your shared library and verify it has an x86_64 version?

_OBJC_CLASS_$_SharedItem looks more like a i386 symbol?

Can you try swapping your XM app to 32-bit and see if makes a difference?

edited February 12

On the Sparkle.dll created by the binding project I had this:

Sparkle.dll: PE32 executable (DLL) (console) Intel 80386 Mono/.Net assembly, for MS Windows

Then I compiled the binding project into 64 bit and got this:

Sparkle.dll: PE32+ executable (DLL) (console) x86-64 Mono/.Net assembly, for MS Windows

I have the same compilation problem on both.

Also, the Sparkle framework has this file in their framework folder:

Sparkle: Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64

This is what I tried to link using the method I wrote earlier (Dlfcn.dlopen()).

EDIT: I tried compiling into 32 bit but it tells me my Xcode version only allows 64 bit compilation.

Could you simplify your test project and attach it here? No one is able to help with just error messages pasted.

edited February 13

I may have found the problem.
    When creating the test project I realised it worked until I added the .cs bindings.
    It seems the bindings I used (the ones from a community integration of Sparkle that is 2 years old) where not all correct.

So I guess I will go through the Sparkle headers one by one and create the integration myself :smile:

I will keep you in touch if I succeed and maybe create a new github for the people needing it like me.

Thanks a lot for your help and patience Chris :smiley: