Enjoying Xamarin :)

PeterEdwardsPeterEdwards GBMember ✭✭
edited January 31 in General

Not a discussion or question per-se but after a wobbly start I'm really enjoying using Xamarin Forms. I just wanted to make a point of saying to others considering using Xamarin (in my case Forms) to give it a go.

I read a lot of bad things about it when researching beforehand, I'm not sure if those things are valid or not as I don't have years under my belt or a project of a larger size but as a newcomer its working out well so far.

• PeterEdwardsPeterEdwards GBMember ✭✭

@JohnHardman Cheers for the response, I think the past hurts peoples view of Xamarin today sadly like you mentioned.
    When looking online I couldn't really find many independent advocates either, just people pointing out bad experiences.

My own findings have shown the Xamarin experience is not perfect but I do feel things work well enough to get the job done once I accepted a few things and got over that initial hurdle.

As an aside I'm using Flutter as well and building the same apps (very simple ones) in both to find what works best for me. I have a vision of the 'best of both worlds', maybe it will push the Xamarin guys to look at new approaches / workflows etc.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod

I've had to start looking at React Native, the Xamarin space is a much nicer place :(

edited February 1

@NMackay said:
    I've had to start looking at React Native, the Xamarin space is a much nicer place :(

Did Xamarin not work out long term for you? I might be mis-reading your post though, you are investigating using React Native?

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod
    > @PeterEdwards said:
    > @NMackay said:
    > I've had to start looking at React Native, the Xamarin space is a much nicer place :(
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Did Xamarin not work out long term for you? I might be mis-reading your post though, you are investigating using React Native?

Nah, Xamarin was working out just fine. It's a story I can't discuss on an open forum.
    edited February 1

@NMackay Gotcha :)