Archiving, .apk is missing the application icon?

I have a Xamarin project with custom icon for my app. Icon works correctly when deploying to device from Visual Studio, but when I create an .apk file with Archive functionality, I get the default icon instead of my icon.

Icon is defined ( "@drawable/icon" ) in manifest, project settings and MainActivity.

Are there some extra steps/configurations that I need so that correct icon is placed in the .apk?

I'm running Xamarin 4.12.3.78

Answers

• jezhjezh Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

There are two Attributes for Android to set up application icon

android:icon="@drawable/icon"   

and

android:roundIcon="@drawable/icon" 

When you check Round Icon Resources, ,we will know

Apps can now define circular launcher icons, which are used on devices that support them. When a launcher requests an app icon, the framework returns either android:icon or android:roundIcon, depending on the device build configuration. Because of this, apps should make sure to define both android:icon and android:roundIcon resources when responding to launcher intents. You can use Image Asset Studio to design round icons.

For more details: https://developer.android.com/guide/practices/ui_guidelines/icon_design_adaptive

• jezhjezh Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Be ensure that you don't have an Icon Activity definition in your Main Activity because this overrides the manifest. It a very common situation. ;)