App conditional update. How to implement?

mabanzamabanza CAMember

Hi there
Is there any way to decline the update of app, published to the store, by checking a certain server-side condition?
The problem, I'm trying to solve, is that when the app is published to the store, it gets available to all users for update but some of that users could have the "old" server side functionality. Number of "old" servers cannot be updated for different reasons and it result in many clients get incorrect client-side app.
The pre-condition implementation is the first what is sprung in my mind, but maybe anybody has a better suggestion?
Thanks.

Answers

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@mabanza said:
    Hi there
    Is there any way to decline the update of app, published to the store, by checking a certain server-side condition?
    The problem, I'm trying to solve, is that when the app is published to the store, it gets available to all users for update but some of that users could have the "old" server side functionality. Number of "old" servers cannot be updated for different reasons and it result in many clients get incorrect client-side app.
    The pre-condition implementation is the first what is sprung in my mind, but maybe anybody has a better suggestion?
    Thanks.

No you cannot decline an app update.
    The normal option for this would be to version your webapi calls, and possibly add feature switches to that api to degrade the functionality in the app when a newer version of the app is running on an older server (and vice versa).

• NickRenzhiglovNickRenzhiglov CAMember ✭✭

to version your webapi calls

Heavy stuff :-(
    One have to hire an accountant to keep books on interface changes from version to version. Not a solution for me.
    Anyway, thanks for reply.