Which Apple machine is recommended for Xamarin development

BButtyBButty Member ✭✭

I have been using Windows for software development for a long time. I am planning to develop iPhone apps using visual studio/ Xamarin and wondering which Mac machine (Hardware) is recommended for developing iPhone apps using Xamarin .... Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@BButty said:
    I have been using Windows for software development for a long time. I am planning to develop iPhone apps using visual studio/ Xamarin and wondering which Mac machine (Hardware) is recommended for developing iPhone apps using Xamarin .... Thanks

If you want to use the mac as a slave iOS build machine a recent Mac Mini would do, make sure it runs the latest OSX for longevitity as XCode is often updated to require the latest OSX. 16gig min. SSD of course. Make sure it is on a decent wired network connection to your PC. That is our setup in the office. At home I have a Macbook PRO running Parallels and VS2017 (in a VM) paired to the MBP.

• BButtyBButty Member ✭✭

Thank you John. from your experience with Mac do you recommend MacBook Air or MacBookPro

regarding the MBA one of the option is:
    i7 dual core, 256 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM and 2.2 GH boost to 3.3 GH

for the MBP do recommend quad or 6 core processor, 8 or 16 GB RAM and 512 or 256 GB SSD

I will be using the Mac to develop and test iPhone app(most likly installing Xamarin on Mac beside Xcode) and running Windows Vm with VS2017 on the host

• BButtyBButty Member ✭✭

Yes, I purchased the pro over the weekend .... thanks