When in the build process should I obfuscate and where do I copy the results?

MichaelRumplerMichaelRumpler ATMember ✭✭✭✭✭

I need to obfuscate some of my dlls before creating the .apk. I already had this running for a few years, but it seems like
the build process changed lately and it does not work anymore.

I have a target in my .csproj for the obfuscation:

<Target Name="Obfuscate" AfterTargets="_CopyIntermediateAssemblies" Condition="'$(Configuration)' == 'Release'">
  <Exec Command="$(MSBuildProjectDirectory)\Obfuscate.bat $(MSBuildProjectDirectory)"
        WorkingDirectory="$(MonoAndroidLinkerInputDir)" />
</Target>

In the past the obfuscator worked in the bin\Release folder, but that folder doesn't contain all dependencies anymore.
After the obfuscation I used to copy the files to obj\Release\linksrc in order to get picked up by the linker.
I saw that obj\Release\90\linksrc does contain all the .dlls, so I changed the obfuscation to work in that folder instead
and copy the obfuscated files to bin\Release.

Now the obfuscation works, but the linker fails.

The "LinkAssemblies" task failed unexpectedly.\r
Mono.Linker.MarkException: Error processing method: 'System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1<System.Boolean> RoyalMobileApps.XF.Helpers.LauncherBase::LaunchConnection(RoyalDocumentLibrary.RoyalConnection,Xamarin.Forms.ToolbarItem,System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2<System.String,System.String>)' in assembly: 'RoyalMobileApps.XF.dll'
    ---> Mono.Cecil.ResolutionException: Failed to resolve RoyalMobileApps.XF.Helpers.LauncherBase/<LaunchConnection>d__1\r

I had obfuscation running before the linker in the past, but apparently this is a problem now, so I tried to start it AfterTargets="_LinkAssemblies".

Now both obfuscation and linking works, but the apk contains the unobfuscated files.

I added to my Obfuscation.bat that the obfuscated files will be copied to obj\Release\90\android\assets where I also found all dlls.
Again obfuscation and linking works, but I get an error in GenerateJavaStubs:

The "GenerateJavaStubs" task failed unexpectedly.\r
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load assembly 'netstandard, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=cc7b13ffcd2ddd51'. Perhaps it doesn't exist in the Mono for Android profile?\r
File name: 'netstandard.dll'\r
   at Java.Interop.Tools.Cecil.DirectoryAssemblyResolver.Resolve(AssemblyNameReference reference, ReaderParameters parameters)\r
   at Java.Interop.Tools.Cecil.DirectoryAssemblyResolver.Resolve(AssemblyNameReference reference)\r
   at Mono.Cecil.MetadataResolver.Resolve(TypeReference type)\r
   at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.Resolve(TypeReference type)\r
   at Mono.Cecil.TypeReference.Resolve()\r
   at Java.Interop.Tools.Cecil.TypeDefinitionRocks.<GetTypeAndBaseTypes>d__1.MoveNext()\r
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.Any[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)\r
   at Java.Interop.Tools.Cecil.TypeDefinitionRocks.IsSubclassOf(TypeDefinition type, String typeName)\r
   at Java.Interop.Tools.JavaCallableWrappers.JavaTypeScanner.AddJavaTypes(List`1 javaTypes, TypeDefinition type)\r
   at Java.Interop.Tools.JavaCallableWrappers.JavaTypeScanner.GetJavaTypes(IEnumerable`1 assemblies, IAssemblyResolver resolver)\r
   at Java.Interop.Tools.JavaCallableWrappers.TypeNameMapGenerator..ctor(IEnumerable`1 assemblies, Action`2 logger)\r
   at Java.Interop.Tools.JavaCallableWrappers.TypeNameMapGenerator..ctor(IEnumerable`1 assemblies, Action`2 logMessage)\r
   at Xamarin.Android.Tasks.GenerateJavaStubs.WriteTypeMappings(List`1 types)\r
   at Xamarin.Android.Tasks.GenerateJavaStubs.Run(DirectoryAssemblyResolver res)\r
   at Xamarin.Android.Tasks.GenerateJavaStubs.Execute()\r
   at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionHost.Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskExecutionHost.Execute()\r
   at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteInstantiatedTask>d__26.MoveNext()

One last try was to start obfuscation AfterTargets="_CopyIntermediateAssemblies" again and copy the files to obj\Release\90\android\assets too.
Unfortunately the linker failed with the same error I got above without copying the files to that folder.

So when should I run the obfuscator and where should it place the files?

Answers

• YorkGoYorkGo CNMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

The "LinkAssemblies" task failed unexpectedly.
    Mono.Linker.MarkException: Error processing method: ...

Try using Custom Linker Configuration for your project. Create a myLink.xml in your project, set the Build Action to LinkDescription, add the following code to the myLink.xml file:

<linker>
      <assembly fullname="RoyalMobileApps.XF">
        <type fullname="RoyalMobileApps.XF.Helpers.*" />
      </assembly>
    </linker>

• MichaelRumplerMichaelRumpler ATMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11

Thanks for your answer, @YorkGo

I link Sdk Assmblies Only anyway.
    However, I did configure the linker as you said. I do see in the build log, that the file is picked up, but I still get an error message for a type in that namespace.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\MSBuild\Xamarin\Android\Xamarin.Android.Common.targets(2129,5):
        error MSB4018:
        Mono.Linker.MarkException: Error processing method: 'System.Threading.Tasks.Task RoyalMobileApps.XF.Helpers.UI::IRVlHxlYxSdtPtFTbMtDHKxAvfmf(Xamarin.Forms.NavigationPage,Xamarin.Forms.Page)' in assembly: 'RoyalMobileApps.XF.dll'
          ---> Mono.Cecil.ResolutionException: Failed to resolve RoyalMobileApps.XF.Helpers.UI/<ReplaceNavigationStack>d__22\r
          at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.HandleUnresolvedType(TypeReference reference)\r
          at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.MarkType(TypeReference reference)\r
          at MonoDroid.Tuner.MonoDroidMarkStep.MarkType(TypeReference reference)\r
          at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.MarkWithResolvedScope(TypeReference type)\r
          at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.MarkIfType(CustomAttributeArgument argument)\r
          at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.MarkCustomAttributeArguments(CustomAttribute ca)\r
          at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.MarkCustomAttribute(CustomAttribute ca)\r
          at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.MarkCustomAttributes(ICustomAttributeProvider provider)\r
          at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.ProcessMethod(MethodDefinition method)\r
          at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.ProcessQueue()\r
          --- End of inner exception stack trace ---\r
          at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.ProcessPrimaryQueue()\r
          at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.Process()\r
          at MonoDroid.Tuner.MonoDroidMarkStep.Process(LinkContext context)\r
          at Mono.Linker.Pipeline.Process(LinkContext context)\r
          at MonoDroid.Tuner.Linker.Process(LinkerOptions options, ILogger logger, LinkContext& context)\r
          at Xamarin.Android.Tasks.LinkAssemblies.Execute(DirectoryAssemblyResolver res)\r
          at Xamarin.Android.Tasks.LinkAssemblies.Execute()\r
          at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionHost.Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskExecutionHost.Execute()\r
          at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteInstantiatedTask>d__26.MoveNext()

Same result with

<AndroidLinkSkip>RoyalMobileApps.XF.Android;RoyalMobileApps.XF</AndroidLinkSkip>

The references are loaded from e.g. C:\Users\micha.nuget\packages\newtonsoft.json\11.0.2\lib\netstandard2.0\Newtonsoft.Json.dll
    I'd have to include each and every NuGet package in the .crproj config file and update them every time I update a NuGet package. That is not feasible.

I did try to copy all those files to one folder before obfuscation and run the obfuscation in AfterBuild. The obfuscation worked.
    The only folder where I found my compiled dlls at that stage is bin\Release. I copied the obfuscated files there, but then the linker failed again later. I also changed my Obfuscate.bat file to a MSBuild task so that everything is in one place. Here is the current target definition:

<Target Name="AfterBuild" Condition="'$(Configuration)' == 'Release'">
        <!-- Set some variables -->
        <PropertyGroup>
          <ObfuscaterExe Condition="Exists('C:\ConfuserEx_bin\Confuser.CLI.exe')">C:\ConfuserEx_bin\Confuser.CLI.exe</ObfuscaterExe>
          <ObfuscaterExe Condition="Exists('D:\ConfuserEx_bin\Confuser.CLI.exe')">D:\ConfuserEx_bin\Confuser.CLI.exe</ObfuscaterExe>
          <ObfuscateWorkingDir>$(MSBuildProjectDirectory)\$(IntermediateOutputPath)ObfuscatorSource</ObfuscateWorkingDir>
          <ObfuscateTargetDir>$(ObfuscateWorkingDir)\Obfuscated</ObfuscateTargetDir>
        </PropertyGroup>
        <!-- Preparation -->
        <MakeDir Directories="$(ObfuscateTargetDir)" />
        <ItemGroup>
          <CompiledFiles Include="$(OutputPath)\*.*" />
        </ItemGroup>
        <Copy SourceFiles="@(_ResolveAssemblyReferenceResolvedFilesAbsolute)" DestinationFolder="$(ObfuscateWorkingDir)" />
        <Copy SourceFiles="@(CompiledFiles)" DestinationFolder="$(ObfuscateWorkingDir)" />
        <Copy SourceFiles="$(MSBuildProjectDirectory)\$(MSBuildProjectName).crproj" DestinationFolder="$(ObfuscateWorkingDir)" />
        <!-- Obfuscate -->
        <Exec Command="$(ObfuscaterExe) $(MSBuildProjectName).crproj" WorkingDirectory="$(ObfuscateWorkingDir)" />
        <!-- Copy results -->
        <ItemGroup>
          <ObfuscatedFiles Include="$(ObfuscateTargetDir)\*.*" />
        </ItemGroup>
        <Copy SourceFiles="@(ObfuscatedFiles)" DestinationFolder="$(OutputPath)" />
      </Target>

The result is an exception in the linker:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\MSBuild\Xamarin\Android\Xamarin.Android.Common.targets(2129,5):
    error MSB4018:
        Mono.Linker.MarkException: Error processing method: 'RoyalDocumentLibrary.RoyalStore rBrtnAtUBbovgwfLEdoWLpUAxRbQ::jXBsLFVBuExGoFPHBUkGMeUtuEAp()' in assembly: 'RoyalTSD.dll'
        ---> Mono.Cecil.ResolutionException: Failed to resolve System.String AHzxviELuKuqQSIZBzcehaeALPPo::XvOoIlIvrpctyjmVtJjpBBkGfMQX\r
            at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.MarkField(FieldReference reference)\r
            at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.MarkInstruction(Instruction instruction)\r
            at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.MarkMethodBody(MethodBody body)\r
            at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.ProcessMethod(MethodDefinition method)\r
            --- End of inner exception stack trace ---\r
            at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.ProcessPrimaryQueue()\r
            at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.Process()\r
            at MonoDroid.Tuner.MonoDroidMarkStep.Process(LinkContext context)\r
            at Mono.Linker.Pipeline.Process(LinkContext context)\r
            at MonoDroid.Tuner.Linker.Process(LinkerOptions options, ILogger logger, LinkContext& context)\r
            at Xamarin.Android.Tasks.LinkAssemblies.Execute(DirectoryAssemblyResolver res)\r
            at Xamarin.Android.Tasks.LinkAssemblies.Execute()\r

The class and method in question does exist in the obfuscated dll.

As this is a release build, I don't create debug symbols. I set these properties:

<DebugSymbols>False</DebugSymbols>
    <DebugType>none</DebugType>
    <Optimize>true</Optimize>

But the .pdbs are still created in bin\Release. After obfuscation they don't match the dlls anymore, so I always get a warning:

Xamarin.Android.Common.targets(513,5): warning : 
        Failed to read 'D:\RoyalFamily\RoyalApplications\RoyalTS\Mobile\Android\RoyalTSD\obj\Release\90\linksrc\RoyalTSD.dll' with debugging symbols. Retrying to load it without it. Error details are logged below.
        Mono.Cecil.Cil.SymbolsNotMatchingException: Symbols were found but are not matching the assembly\r

Could this be the problem?

As I run the obfuscation in AfterBuild now, I also needed to copy all obfuscated files to the bin\Release folders of all obfuscated projects or they wouldn't show up in the linksrc folder.

I also tried with debug symbols, but that didn't work either.

• ChdoulaChdoula JPMember ✭✭

How do you obfuscate dlls anyway, can't find any working solution on internet. thanks

@Chdoula said:
    How do you obfuscate dlls anyway, can't find any working solution on internet. thanks

I evaluated obfuscators in 2016 and ended up using ConfuserEx (and later ConfuserEx-Reborn). Both are discontinued now, but it is open source, so you could add some stuff on your own.
    Maybe there are others available now, but I don't want to evaluate again (only if I'm sure that the end product works).

I explained in detail what I did in this post.

• ChdoulaChdoula JPMember ✭✭

@MichaelRumpler Thanks for you reply, I already tried that but it doesn't seem to be working and its so complicated to me though its well explained, I ended up using Skater .NET from nuget , and obfuscating dll and copy them manually to release folder.

• OliverMOliverM USMember ✭✭

@MichaelRumpler I also get Linker-Errors when obfuscating with ConfuserEx. It also worked for several years. I think it first occured after upgrading my PCLs to .NET Standard recently.

I also tried AndroidLinkSkip, but still Linker-Errors.

Did you solve this problem?

@OliverM said:
    Did you solve this problem?

Not yet. I couldn't work on this in the last couple of weeks.

I did look at Dotfuscator and how they do it. Not because I want to replace ConfuserEx, but just to see how they integrate it. But they have a 800 line .targets file for that so I didn't find the essence of it yet (never looked at a .targets file before).