Waiting for permissions

jamesklettjamesklett USMember ✭✭
edited January 4 in Xamarin.Android

My application requires access to external storage, so I need to check if WRITE_EXTERNAL is granted, and if not prompt the user, set the permission and then continue the app *** the app cannot continue without out this, as I need to build a data file with SQLite in a specific folder that I create. Problem is the code I am using (see below) does not block the app from continuing, so the app goes on ahead and tries to access the SQLite file/folder which is not created yet until the user "ALLOWS" access - Question is how can I make sure the user clicks "Allow" before continuing on?

thanks

JK

---- CODE - this is Main Activity

protected override void OnCreate(Bundle bundle)
    {
        TabLayoutResource = Resource.Layout.Tabbar;
        ToolbarResource = Resource.Layout.Toolbar;

base.OnCreate(bundle);

global::Xamarin.Forms.Forms.Init(this, bundle);

MainActivityHook = this;

CheckAppPermissions(); // *********************** this is the call to get the permission and the create directory call
        if(!Directory.Exists("/mnt/sdcard/mycustomfolder/"))
            Directory.CreateDirectory("/mnt/sdcard/mycustomfolder/");

LoadApplication(new App());
    }

const int PERMISSIONS_STORAGE = 111;
    public void CheckAppPermissions()
    {
        if(ContextCompat.CheckSelfPermission(MainActivity.MainActivityHook, Manifest.Permission.WriteExternalStorage) != Permission.Granted)
        {
            ActivityCompat.RequestPermissions(MainActivity.MainActivityHook, new System.String[] { Manifest.Permission.WriteExternalStorage }, PERMISSIONS_STORAGE);
        }
    }
    public override void OnRequestPermissionsResult(int requestCode,
           string[] permissions, [GeneratedEnum] Permission[] grantResults)
    {
        switch(requestCode)
        {
            case PERMISSIONS_STORAGE:
                {
                    if(grantResults.Length > 0 && grantResults[0] == Permission.Granted)
                    {
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        Toast.MakeText(ApplicationContext, "Application cannot continue without access to the local storage device.  Exiting...", ToastLength.Long).Show();
                        JavaSystem.Exit(0);
                    }
                    break;
                }
        }
    }

Answers