Automatic provisioning profile not showing up for a colleague with the same app

JamesLaveryJamesLavery GBBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no problems building our app for the iOS simulator, with automatic bundle signing and the associated automatic provisioning profile. My settings are:

But my colleague gets this:

The system can't find a matching provisioning profile for the automatic signing identity.

What are we missing? My understanding is that he doesn't need an Apple Developer ID or to be part of our Apple Developer Team for automatic signing. Or am I wrong?

• Hi James

I'm no expert on this (yet). However, I would have believed that he needs to log into his Apple dev. account to get the provisioning profiles - how else would his VS know which profiles are available?

• JamesLaveryJamesLavery GBBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I'm pretty sure that's not the case here. In order to create use a Provisioning Profile for physical devices, sure he needs to have an Apple Developer ID and have downloaded certificates and profiles.

However, for the Developer (Automatic) signing identity, I don't think this is the case. I'm pretty sure this and the associated Automatic provisioning profile (which allows deployment to the Simulator) should be available (ahem) automatically.

The strange thing is that he can deploy a newly created Xamarin.iOS project to the simulator, but not our customer's. He gets an error 'No valid provisioning profiles' (paraphrased).

I can deploy the app to the simulator no problem.

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@JamesLavery said:
    No, I'm pretty sure that's not the case here. In order to create use a Provisioning Profile for physical devices, sure he needs to have an Apple Developer ID and have downloaded certificates and profiles.

However, for the Developer (Automatic) signing identity, I don't think this is the case. I'm pretty sure this and the associated Automatic provisioning profile (which allows deployment to the Simulator) should be available (ahem) automatically.

The strange thing is that he can deploy a newly created Xamarin.iOS project to the simulator, but not our customer's. He gets an error 'No valid provisioning profiles' (paraphrased).

I can deploy the app to the simulator no problem.

The Developer (Automatic) option only means that it will use what it thinks is the default provisioning profile that has been already installed. It does not go and fetch it and install it.

@JohnHair Aha - that explains it. Shows what happens when I forget the basics we went through when first setting up.

However - how come he can build and run a brand new solution in the Simulator, but this existing app gets the 'no valid provisioning profiles' error?

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@JamesLavery said:
    @JohnHair Aha - that explains it. Shows what happens when I forget the basics we went through when first setting up.

However - how come he can build and run a brand new solution in the Simulator, but this existing app gets the 'no valid provisioning profiles' error?

Maybe he is using a wildcard provisioning profile? It has been a long time since I tried without a profile, so not too sure on that front. At one point I thought you could build for simulator without a profile at all. I could be completely wrong of course. :smile:

@JohnHair said:

... At one point I thought you could build for simulator without a profile at all. I could be completely wrong of course. :smile:

Yes, that's my understanding. I think this is what's happening with the newly created solution. No profile, but can build/deploy to simulator.

So the £64K question is - what's different between the solution he can deploy and the one he can't!