Is it better to use Modern over Full framework for Mac app?

ficnozlficnozl SIMember ✭✭

I know a lot has already been written about difference between Xam.Mac Modern and Xam.Mac Full, but I
still don't quite get it.
For a Mac app, is there any benefit to make it Modern?

Our app compiles and runs ok under Modern, the only problem we have is with
System.Security.Cryptography.ProtectedData.Protect and System.Security.Cryptography.ProtectedData.Unprotect

When using Xam.Mac Modern, the calls to Protect and Unprotect return "PlatformNotSupported".

I have two questions:

• Is there a benefit to use Modern over Full for a Mac app? We could change Protect/Unprotect for something else, but is it better to use Modern? (maybe better tested since it is probably more used?)
  • If there is benefit to use Modern, is there any way to use System.Security.dll which comes with Full on Modern?

• ChrisHamonsChrisHamons USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

The official documentation lives here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/mac/platform/target-framework

But here's the short version:

Adopting modern absolutely limits the APIs you can use from the base class library to a similar subset as Xamarin.iOS

By accepting that limitation, you get a number of benefits:

• Smaller application size as your BCL libraries are smaller
    • Ability to turn on linking to make that savings even more pronounced
    • As your assemblies are smaller, you can AOT compile your application to get better crash stacks \ performance improvements with a smaller disk space cost.

The choice if those API limitations are worth the potential benefits is up to each application, which is why it is a top level option.