XAML Learning Curve

Hi everyone,

Most of the time, I am developing apps using Xamarin.iOS and I am comfortable with it. But this time, I got one more job that requires the same app for Android version. Since I have no knowledge of XAML, I thought that it is better to start with Xamarin.iOS and then developing the app with Xamarin.Android.

I need to develop the app in 3 months for both iOS and Android version.

What are your experience for learning XAML? Do you think it is better to focus on Xamarin.Forms rather than Xamarin.Native? or should I stick with what I am comfortable with because of time limitation?

Thank you very much!

Answers

• JamesLaveryJamesLavery GBBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you know xamarin.android? If not, then think it's worth learning xamarin.forms and XAML - if you've got to learn something anything then something which gives you both platforms is worth it.

Having said that, XAML and MVVM can be a steep learning curve for some (I found it came easily to me though). Also if your app needs a highly customised UI then Forms might not suit (you will end up writing lots of custom renderers.
  • NicolasKrierNicolasKrier FRMember ✭✭✭

XAML is my favorite language. If I had to keep on language for UI? I would keep XAML over everything else.
    Once you are confortable with it, it's hard to go back to HTML, etc. (notice that before I start learning XAML, I was a web developper and SVG was my previous favorite language, now it's my second one :wink: ))

For instance, I find that getting rid of constraint in iOS is good for my health and to keep my soul clean haha.
    Mastering XAML allows you to code app with Xamarin Forms but also native Windows app : WPF/UWP. Of course there's 90% chance you won't ever have to develop an app on those platforms but still you'll be able to do so if you ever need it to.

After several years of XAML, I don't use any WYSIWYG, drag & drop controls from toolbox or anything like that.
    I feel like I can code anything with XAML (mostly for B2B app which are focused on functionality, data instead of highly customized UI with tons of animations or custom/specific control. But don't get me wrong, there are a lot of B2C app that could be done in Forms with XAML too).

I might be biased because that's my favorite language but it wouldn't be if this language wasn't worth it.

I dream to code a Skia UI with XAML.

• myHorses2YoumyHorses2You USMember ✭✭

Thanks for the responses.

I had no experience in Xamarin.Android so I believe Xamarin.Forms is the way to go. The only uncertainty is that I do not know how long it will take to become comfortable with XAML. Time will tell I believe..