Announcing Xamarin 2.0

2»

• So how exactly do I renew at the old price? My subscription ends tomorrow (Feb 25th, 2013), but when I go to the link that was in the renewal email, it wants me to pay $999 instead of $250 for renewal.

My $0.02 worth is that I paid a price for a certain feature set, with expected renewal rates. As long as you honor that I understand that prices can change. I think you have priced it way too high, but that is my opinion.

As long as I retain the same level of features for the renewal price I was promised, then I will not be too upset. In order for this to be true, I will expect to have full VS2012 integration with my $249 upgrade.

Otherwise I will be a very unhappy developer.

• NatFriedmanNatFriedman USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Vern, as stated on our FAQ – http://xamarin.com/xamarin-2.0-faq – all existing customers can continue to renew at their existing price, and we have upgraded all Professional customers to Business for free.

Email [email protected] if you are having trouble processing your renewal.

@Catalin, for the first time ever, we have introduced a free edition – Starter edition – which allows you to build and ship apps for free. And we have also lowered our intro price from $399 to $299. From the perspective of someone who is price-sensitive, this seems like an improvement to me!

• Well, I guess I messed up. It seems I was wrong about my renewal date, and I have been expired now for over a month. Does that mean I need to pay the full $999?

@VernBlanchard, please read the FAQ: http://xamarin.com/xamarin-2.0-faq. All existing Professional customers can renew at their existing renewal price, which in your case is $249. You are automatically upgraded to Business edition.

• CatalinCatalin USMember

Hi Nat, thanks for your response! But looking at the old model the $399/platform/year is equivalent to the business license which is $999/platform/year. Unless I'm missing something the new pricing model is at least x2.5 more expensive! Maybe I'm wrong...

edited February 2013

Hi @Catalin. Until Wednesday, the only way to get a Xamarin app on a device or in an app store was to pay $399. Now you can do it for free (Starter) or for $299 (Indie). We lowered our prices.

Our trial download in the past was licensed only for evaluation purposes, and wasn't allowed to be used for app development.

Our new Business license has a bunch of features that our former Professional license did not: it can be used by companies with >10 employees, and it includes support for building iOS apps in Visual Studio, among other things.

So across the board we've added features and lowered prices. People warned me, before we did this, "Don't give any product away for free, or your forum will be filled with people complaining that you didn't give enough away for free." Please don't prove them right!

• jaquadrojaquadro USMember

Conversely, your former Professional license contained features that the new Indie license does not. The ability to be licensed by small companies with 2-9 employees, VS support for Android development. Some users may find this a favorable tradeoff for a $100 discount, but I think others would have rather paid the difference for maintaining that. I think the outcry of existing customers (prior to reassurance of their grandfathered status) is indicative that they might not have purchased Xamarin if they were new customers today.

Thanks again for the personal note to sort out my personal situation and I can at least continue to justify Xamarin for a future product, but I still stand by my assertion that a tradeoff has been made that is going to be quite unfavorable for some developers, compared to your previously licensing tiers.

• CatalinCatalin USMember

Ho Nat,
    I agree that the price has lowered for apps under 32KB but that's like saying we'll give you a free Hello World app, any serious app will go over 32 KB very quickly. I'm only speaking from personal experience and as an open-source and independent developer, non commercial project, the $1000/platform/year is something I can't afford. I agree that Xamarin Studio is a great product but I can't recommend it to my peers or contacts unless they are big corporations or mobile dev shops that can afford the price and even they are questioning the price. I've done C# development for more than 10 years and would love to leverage the skills in the mobile apps world but I can't justify the price for learning/educational purpose. I even pitched the product to the company I work for and @ $1000/platform/year/developer I was told is too expensive. I guess for now I'm back to Eclipse and Xcode. Don't get me wrong Xamarin Studio is a great product! I wish I could afford it.

@Catalin, the price has lowered for apps under 32KB and for apps over 32KB. And Xamarin Studio comes with Indie, which costs $299.

• ChWoChWo DEMember

@nat
    You're right but @Catalin is right, too. I purchased professional licenses for MonoTouch and Mono for Android by $718 (bundle discount). I'm an indie developer but maybe I start my own business when there is too much work. As I purchased your products I kept $718 in mind if need licenses for a new developer and $399 for a Xamarin.Mac license. Since last week it's much more expensive to grow.
    If I need new licenses for a second developer I need to pay $1998 for Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android per year.
    If I just want to get a Xamarin.Mac license I must pay $999 + 2 x $249 (<--renewal) per year.
    It's great to be upgraded to the business plan for the old price (thanks!) because I need the VS plugin for Android. But now growing becomes really expensive to me.

• nickNaylornickNaylor DEMember ✭✭
    edited February 2013

@nat
    before you say we complain because you do not give away enough for free, I just want to make my point clearer. We need Xamarin for both, iOS and Android. Before the new license one got the professional edition for $600, because the 2nd license was 50% off.

The $600 were a fair price I think: not really cheap, but you got a lot in return :)

with the new license you offer the indie version basicly for the same $600 Dollar, BUT you changed atleast 3 important things:

1. you denied the indie version to be used even by small companies. This makes it impossible to use this version by us, a freshly started 2 person company and forces us to take the business edition which with $1800 per developer and year is simply priced far outside our reach!
      If you remove this rule, the complains should be reduced a lot.

2. you removed the LLVM, so iOS apps written with the indie will be slower then before or with the business edition. I also thought that this LLVM is required to comply with the Apple rules?
      I was surprised by this step as I rather expected LLVM to be added to Android and not taken away from iOS

3. you removed certain libraries from the indie version. After checking with this SQL thing I think this doesn't really matter to us, as it only involves libs I never used and never thought of using.

I hope this makes my (and it seems others too) points clearer.
    The new license forces us to take the business edition which is 3 times as expensive as the old one because you probably overlooked small companies when designing the new licenses.

Jens

• DaveWDaveW USMember ✭✭

I think these pricing bugfixes are are good :) Now if we could just get some Linux love...

• AdamLangeAdamLange USMember

Hi. I am a student and purchased Mono for Android about a year ago. How does this new pricing structure work for me? Am I grandfathered in at the old rate ($249 I believe)? Thanks.

@AdamLange - you are upgraded to Business and grandfathered in at the old rate. Please see http://xamarin.com/xamarin-2.0-faq

• nickNaylornickNaylor DEMember ✭✭

@nat: thanks for the price "bugfixing" :)

great news!

• ChWoChWo DEMember

@nat, @Xamarin
    I really like the way you handle criticism and see custom errors. I'm also a Delphi developer so I know Embarcadero would never react like you do.
    Thumbs up for your political decisions! You're on the right way.

• PatErbPatErb USMember

I received the email that I am Grandfathered in at the $249 price for the Business edition, but when I go to pay it lists $999. How do I get the Grandfathered price?

• Chris.5362Chris.5362 GBMember

Well this looks potentailly very useful; after trying to work with earlier version of Monotouch & MonoAndroid I gave up and have been experimenting with PhoneGap/JQueryMobile instead.
    But... this first release of Xamarin 2 seems too buggy at the outset - e.g. android emulator crashes when running sample app; 'tasky' sample download has missing link;'employee Directory' sample gives little clue about cross-paltform development - so I'm still not sure how useful this will be, i.e how much indpendent platform work will be necessary

• KevinFarrowKevinFarrow GBMember, Beta, University
    edited February 2013

In your announcement of Xamarin 2.0 you say "To suit the diverse needs of our fast growing developer community, we have improved our pricing". How exactly have the prices been "improved" ?

Previously the renewal price for the equivalent Business Edition was $499, is this now $999? For those of us smaller developers, the renewal was $249, is this now $299?

The only change I see is the new starter edition and it looks to me like you have simply increased your prices across the board. How does this improve my experience? I am now a Business user but will you be expecting me to pay $999 for my license renewal instead of the previous $249?

I know you have to pay that $12million investment back somehow, and it looks like we the customer are going to have to pay for it (you aren't thinking of becoming a bank are you?), but to improve your pricing for me could you please put me back on the same pricing as before and just let me use what I have already been using for the past 2 years?

• CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey GBMember ✭✭✭

People really need to read the relevant licensing information before posting these complaints:

We are also grandfathering all existing customers into their current renewal pricing plans and adding features to their current products.

http://xamarin.com/faq#pricing

@RevisionSoftware - Not to worry, like all existing Professional customers, you have been grandfathered in to your existing renewal price of $249. http://xamarin.com/faq#existing-customers

Thanks for the quick response but you haven't read the message. I was asking "I am now a Business user (thanks to being grandfathered in) but will you be expecting me to pay $999 for my license renewal instead of the previous $249 when I need to renew next year?" or am I going to be expected to pay $999 ?

I have read your message and my response above is what you were looking for. You have been upgraded to business edition, but your renewal price is grandfathered. And so your renewal price is what it always was – $249. Enjoy!

That's great news Nat, thanks. I was worried that on 9th February 2014 I would be asked to pay $999 to renew but you've made it clear that my renewal every year from now on will always be $249. Have a great day.

• FredHFredH NLMember

I must be doing something wrong (I hope).

I don't need to deploy to 'real' devices. I was using MonoDroid (Mono for Android) and MonoTouch to show the possibilities of our current web-based portfolio when migrated to apps. This is a kind of continuous 'educating the management' effort :)

Basically I would pick an existing product, create a new front end as a Windows 8 App, Android App and iOS App. Then, using the emulators, I could make small demo movies using tools like Active Presenter etc. These are then mailed or shown during a presentation.

Today, going with the flow, I installed Xamarin 2.0 on my Windows machine. To stay safe I re-built the Android version of an earlier project, grabbed from its repository, and was immediately confronted with two problems.

1. Going from MonoDroid to Xamarin 2.0, I lost the possibility to work in Visual Studio 2012, unless I purchase a business license

2. The app was using a Java Splash Screen (the C# way shown in the docs just isn't fluid enough) and that causes an error message about the use of native libraries, I need to purchase an Indie license or higher

Somehow I feel I have lost a lot...

Of course this is no longer an issue once we purchase a business license. But before it comes to that I still have to do a lot of 'evangelism'. Do I need to go looking for alternative development environments/frameworks?

Cheers,
    Fred

• AlbertoMenacheAlbertoMenache USMember

I'm an independent developer and had been looking at your Android product for a while. I'd love to try it but my problem is that I need the Visual Studio support and that would mean having to get the $999 license per year. It just doesn't make financial sense for someone like me that has been working with Visual Studio for many years and also have Eclipse experience. I'd probably use it for one job a year if I'm lucky, as I develop for many platforms. Is there any plans to release Visual Studio support as an independent add-on? or is there an option that I have missed?

• AndrijaBrljakAndrijaBrljak USMember
    edited March 2013

I've finished my trial and I have to say you guys did a nice job.
    But having said that ... there are a few major issues that will discourage me to buy this;

This is how I see it;
    This suite is something that is primarily for developers that are used to .NET development and using Visual Studio. I would even go so far to say that most people that will be interested in Xamarin are people that primarily don't work on mobile apps, but on occasion.

With that in mind;

Price

In my company at least 3 people need to use this - so that's $5.000 a year, which probably makes this the most expensive software suite I've ever heard of (?!). We would even consider this if it was 5K once and free updates until some major version or something similar.

(If we were a company that primarily releases mobile apps - than we would not need this because most of our developers would be skilled in either iOS or Android development)

Pricing model - per user, per platform, per year

"Indie" model is basically useless (no VS support and no business features). Without these features I'm simply better off using the native tools - sure I will use a bit more time, but if time is money - not that much time.
    "Per platform" is just a joke - what's the point of purchasing something designed to bridge platforms and than just use it on one.

Cross-platform
    There are problems here as well;

You cannot really reuse your existing .NET code in your mobile apps just like that. You have to build proxy libraries for each platform and that link files inside dummy projects, etc.
    UI Builder tools only exist for Android, not for iOS ... in fact you need a MAC computer to be able to build for iOS and you need to use the Interface builder from XCode. This process is not really refined - there is a lot of back-and-forward (save in xcode, close, refresh, than write a piece of code here, than open in xcode, etc.)

Bottom line,

for this price there are way too many workarounds and this simply feels a bit 'beta' if you ask me. I think you guys are on the right track in sense of making mobile development friendly for C# developers, but either go the whole 9 yards and make it something that we extend our visual studio with (this would justify 5K per year) or be a bit friendlier with price.

I'm really sad because I was really hoping that we could use it :(

Sincerely,

A.

• LluisSanchezLluisSanchez ESXamarin Team Xamurai

@AndrijaBrljak: just a small clarification. The licence price would not be $5K a year, but $5K once, and free updates for 1 year. The license is perpetual.

• AndrijaBrljakAndrijaBrljak USMember

Hi Lluis,

thanx for the clarification - I'm aware of that ... but this being a solution for mobile platforms, I believe updates are a critical part in the grand scheme of stuff.

Both iOS and Android are constantly changing/evolving, so any of them can be quite different a year from now + people update their phones/tablets regularly so you'd want updates even for apps you've already built.

I really do think you guys are doing amazing work here, and as one developer to another I think I would be in a world of hurt if I had to put a price tag on this if it was "my baby" ...

But $5K/year is a lot of money (at least where I come from) :(

Sincerely,

A.

• moljacmoljac HRBeta ✭✭✭

Hi

I'd like to add some thoughts - better to say constructive criticism. Please refer to word
    "constructive", because I'd like to add some suggestions based on experience with .net, mono and
    Xamarin as company and their tools.

Some of remarks will be very personal based on my own experience, but I swear You can generalize a
    lot of it on

• "emerging" markets (how nice sintagma/syntagm for 3rd world or non-aligned movement countries)
      and/or
    • for countries currently bitten by recession (or about to be hit)
    • startup dreams turned problems (with or without recession influence)

So how i got here?

OK. I'm .net-c# developer, but was c++ developer for 10 years and always had sick need to test my
    software running on other platforms and developing with other tools (IDEs).

So, in 2006 after not getting 3 monthly incomes decided to switch places with my wife (she's in IT
    too) and got the new job/role maternity_leave_dad (word parental not used by purpose - emphasis by
    contradiction). And each day after changing diapers and my daughter was asleep I did some coding and
    brilliant idea came: to ground a startup. So at the end of 2007 one-man band was founded. As startup
    CO ( = {C,I,T,O,F}) and split personality, my marketing (dark) side told me that I need website.
    So only decision was asp.net, but had no money so logical decision was Linux + Mono. If I knew that
    few months later Microsoft is going to donate 2 Windows Servers 2008 I wouldn't write this today.
    So as wannabe-cool I took asp.net CSSFriendlyControl adapters and did website with those on top of
    mono. I could not rest so I was switching between .net and mono, Apache and IIS and realized that
    css IDs and classes in some controls were differently generated and wrote a bug report and left it
    on Novell's bugzilla. This is how my mail was left somewhere in the hands of mono team.

In the meantime I kept working with mono and wrote some internal utilities for asterisk IP PBX.
    Until... In the mid of android hype I got invitation for private beta for Monodroid late summer 2010.
    I was really impressed and started to learn android - Monotouch was not in my dreams cos I could
    not afford mac.

3 months later teaching to ski some kids who's father was Viktor Marohnic co-founder of Five Minutes
    (Croatian startup that made it), I spoke to him and explained him what i was doing and he asked me
    to do presentation on Mobile Monday in Zagreb about M4A. His intention was to steer Mobile Monday
    meetings/conferences back to developers, because it became designer-dominated if not designer-only.
    I did the presentation and Android/Java guys gave me pretty hard time, they were like flies just
    before rain/stotm: "can You do this-or-that?", "the size of app?", "speed?" "now press F5" (that was
    the guy who worked briefly with Visual studio). After that I have decided to push it harder resulting
    in presentation about M4A begining of May 2011 on Microsoft's DevUG in Zagreb (I bet a lot Xamarin
    gals/guys will remember May 2011).

On that presentation (in Microsoft) I was really surprised by the small numbers of .net developers
    that have heard of mono or even smaller that have worked with mono. Why? Ignorance? Maybe.
    Security being in the hands of (behind, backed up by) one, big company like Microsoft.
    I can remember how surprised people were after questions whether ASP.NET MVC2 can be done and we
    created project in VS tested, moved to Mac (at the same time copied to remote Centos Server) and
    mono worked.
    I could never understand why in country where developer monthly income (after tax deduction) is between
    $1000 and $2000 people do not use open-source alternatives. I know this is not right to give personal
    incomes, but this will give You rough feeling about economic power of people, thus companies and
    startups. For example I paid my first Xamarin licences with personal MasterCard.
    But I saw niche + opportunity for companies especially startups to use Xamarin technology to succeed
    and my gut-feeling told me that decision was right (and I trust my gut-feeling since war in 90's).

Anyway I cannot afford to relax and am not letting myself fall asleep so I like to analyse myself and
    my decisions on the regular basis, so my feelings about decision to go for/with Xamarin came as waves
    depending on events in, around me, my projects and Xamarin, both internal and external.

So I was very sure and up when:

• Xamarin was founded
    • Novell had no claims for code and patents
    • Xamarin got funding in 2012-07
    • partnership on development Azure Mobile Services was announced
    • Evolve sponsors and speakers were announced

and feeling/thumbs went down:

• late 2011 when I was about to switch to MonoTouch and when I purchased licences for MA/MT
    • when Xamarin Studio 2.0 came out with pricing

Feelings/Thumbs down (where I see problems)

My point of view - problems:

• Missing Professional edition
      Professional edition is gone which was between Indie and Business
    • Existing user upgrade
      existing users (especially Professional) were "upgraded"/"rewarded" with Business edition and
      cannot afford it

3rd law of Newtonian physics - Action Reaction

All questions asked by my kids I try to explain those through physics and math. I'll do it here not
    cos You're kids, but just to justify my reasoning.

Missing professional Edition

This issue depends if one decides to do multiplatform (cross platform) or not and on the way of
    doing development which is highly influenced by the size of the company.

How the work is done for one man band (3 with 2 junior devs - students) and enterprise apps:

• I work mostly in VS (with bunch of addins and tweaks) and switch to Mac only for MacOSX and iOS
      development UI in XCode.

• I tend to start with proof of concepts in WF, test in MonoDevelop on Windows under Mono, then
      switch to Mac and/or Linux just to test

• unit tests in VS in desktop projects

• before deployment or switch to Mac/Linux for further development - test in MD/XS on windows
    • when switch to mac to do iOS projects or MonoMac, test asp.net under mono first, just o see
      if everything is OK

• asp.net deployed to servers every 1-2 days mostly to Linux, just to see if something is broken

"Switching" the development platform was done initally over share, then code versioning system and
    lately mostly virtual machine switch (setup: macosx + fusion + virtualized Windows with VS).

M4A project[s] are created in VS together with WP, WF ... Brief switch to Mac to create MT
    projects. Back to VS. Per platform 2 projects (dll and app-exe).

See here VS support in the form of iOS simulator and debugger from VS is not that big for my
    dev process. I mean I have tried it, but this is not must-have for me.

I'm writing about this just to see that I'm doing crossplatform mostly working with VS (80%).
    Only testing checking with MD/XS. So, I need VS support.

Another one - expectations. What would one expect where from would c# developers come from?
    Eclipse world?
    Even if one dev from huge company decides to test Xamarin.Android would they get (could justify
    to management) purchase of Business Edition? I worked in quite large company and am quite sure that
    no suit would give approval just like that.

So for VS developer, for cross platform, from "emerging" market Professional edition for MT+MA
    with generous discount for $600 was fair deal (hard for family budget, but it is not Your fault
    that we are not born equal or under the same sun).

Professional edition was really cool - guys You gave us 2-3 machines really fair. Hat down.
    Never had a reason to cheat or search for crack and allowed to show buddies how it works
    (even on their boxes - with recycling).

Larger companies will have dedicated devs for each platform for iOS devs with XS on Macs, android
    devs can use XS on Macs too, so no need for VS. For VS guys, especially new (initial testing)
    and startups this is not feasible especially not at the beginning.

If the removal of VS support for Indie was on purpose (I know, or better - hope, it was not)
    I don't think that platinum-sponsor will love that and will certainly react with at least equal
    force according to Newton's 3rd law.

Existing customer upgrade

I can bet that most of Professional users were mono enthusiasts from early days, like I am, who
    understood that Xamarin team grew up from the same mud and dirt. You guys caught our dreams.
    I can remember my thoughts when I was typing MasterCard number for professional edition I said
    "shit their kids need to eat too - they deserved it."

Only thing that scared me was the reaction of my wife when she sees MC transactions.

So I was happy Professional Edition user and got promoted to Business and I am really thankful
    and this shows that Xamarin cares about early adopters, supporters, fans.

The only problem I face - I cannot afford this gift. A bit paradoxical, but that's it.

Downgrade problems

I have event tried to downgrade. Clicked "change plan" under my account with broken heart and
    tears in my eyes (kidding) but no go. I could only modify or upgrade.

See screenshots.

Pricing

Biology concepts "defense by strength/size" or "defense in numbers" are similar to concepts of price
    elasticity usually seen in economics especially nowadays in mobile world. Should the price of my app be
    0.99 or 29.99? It is hard to say and depends on tons of parameters...

I know Xamarin economic strategists are trying to max(revenue, sales, ...); and are trying the best
    pricing models. When I see guys from Germany screaming how teuer (expensive) Business edition is I
    know I'm gonna scream event more...

I have feeling current price model is on the thin line to start losing small users.

Support - Personal story regarding Xamarin support

First let me explain: I'm extremely satisfied with Xamarin's support.

But this is just a small log how I tried to extend my licences and small glitches I went through.

See I got mail on 2013-02-25 that existing customers are able to purchase licences for $250.
    Great news - I thought. Tried to purchase on 2013-03-26 no-go, sent mail to sales, did set my
    licenses to expire on 2013-04-09 thinking I'll have enough time to solve that.
    Got no answer from sales. Licences expired and I am unable to deploy to devices.

Today I sent mail to hello, support and sales with previous mails and question whether I can or
    cannot extend licences for $250.

First I thought there is something written in small fonts, then I was searching through my mail
    looking for coupon codes like those I get from Godaddy, but nothing.

Guys I know this is veeeeeeryyyyyyy complex stuff from platform (mono) to IDE, from products to
    website, from process to marketing and that there is only 60+ of You and that in such complexity
    and amount of work the possibility of errors is very high. BTW I was always wondering how does
    somebody collects, so so much and so dense amounts of grey matter on one place like in Xamarin.

Despite understanding I must say (was never able to shut my mouth) XS 2.0 came too soon or with
    too many new features, or not enough tested, whatever. Bottom line it is a bit more difficult to
    work with 4.x than with 3.x.

And when this overlaps with new pricing - it hurts a bit.

Future

Due to the fact that I cannot actively/directly work and help on some products like XS/MD my
    decision was to spread the word (not only mine - I got invited).

We held presentation last year (2012-06-05) on Case24 about Cross platform development with
    Microsoft tools, but large part of it was about Xamarin tools. Joseph Hill even got us promo
    codes and leaflets. A year ago I'm not sure that many companies or individuals have bought
    licences (I have no numbers) and though we have invitation for Case25 I don't think I can
    "defend" pricing.

OK with changes on market with advance of Android and new iPhone-Cheap maybe companies will
    start buying under this circumstances, but I'm almost sure in next 6-12 months those numbers
    will be very small - at least here.

Anyway we'll redo our M4A presentation from 2 years ago (2011-05-07) and plan on doing
    other meetings in the region. When asked about features and stability I can say it is
    feasible - if it was for us it should be for anyone - the Xamarin/mono guys do really good
    job and fix stuff. You see the difference.

But when asked about pricing and how this is a bit high - all I can do is say "Yes I know" and shrug.

• krishakrisha USMember

hi,

I started developing xamarin.ios project since last month . I have bought indie license. My Current Xamarin studio for mac is 4.0.4. But On My Window workstation Current Version of Xamarin studio is 4.0.3 But if I check for update it is not showing 4.0.4 version. i have googled a lot but couldnt found any solutions. Please Can somebody fix my problem