XAM U closing - Xamarin Certification now meaningless/cancelled/worthless

2»

• JoaoSilva.7604JoaoSilva.7604 GBUniversity ✭✭
    edited May 8

I just can't believe that a thousand pounds certificate is now a "Badge"... I would even be ashamed to put "I have a Xamarin Certified Badge" on my CV. Will just remove it as more and more the Xamarin world is just ridiculous... thank good I'm making the move to native apps, being a Xamarin developer was taking a toll on my career progression.

• MarkSmith.8123MarkSmith.8123 USXamarin Team, University, XamUProfessors Xamurai
    edited May 8

Hi @rafaelagp --

The iOS and Android courses aren't moving to Learn in their current form. The team only moved Xamarin.Forms content over - so that's all you can get badges for (the same content).

Edit: there will be iOS and Android coverage, just not from XamU. The plan is to design and build unique task oriented materials for Learn. This will be much better than trying to port existing content which isn’t in the proper shape.

Best,
    mark

• rafaelagprafaelagp USMember ✭✭

@MarkSmith.8123

What's happening to the iOS and Android courses then?

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarkSmith.8123 said:
    The iOS and Android courses aren't moving to Learn. The team only moved Xamarin.Forms content over

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!

@rafaelagp said:
    @MarkSmith.8123

What's happening to the iOS and Android courses then?

Really good question. So... What... iOS and Android are being dropped? Xamarin/Microsoft is going to discontinue them? Or just stop teaching anything about them so the market stops using them? This makes no sense.

• MarkSmith.8123MarkSmith.8123 USXamarin Team, University, XamUProfessors Xamurai

Hi @JoaoSilva.7604 --

The MS Learn badge isn't a replacement for the certification. It's a reminder of what you have completed. The training provided at Xamarin University (a lot of it anyway) is moving into the official channel - MS Learn.

What you accomplished by earning a certification is still valid - you can download the certificates and display them proudly. There just won't be any program after this - so 2019 is the final year that certification was offered. Consider it like any other certification that is removed and replaced by something different. Like climbing a mountain, the fact that the mountain is now closed and unavailable doesn't diminish the fact that you peaked the summit in the past.

The badge is just a reminder of what you accomplished - not a replacement for it. Just as the training in MS Learn won't be the same as what we did with Xamarin University. It's similar in many ways but different in many others. Certification is moving more towards role-based knowledge - where mobile is just an aspect. The Azure developer certification already covers some aspects of mobile today - and while I'm not involved in certifications, I'd guess that future roles will continue to include aspects of mobile. It just won't be completely focused on a single UX stack.

So download your certs, display them proudly and recognize the achievement. You gained knowledge and experience over the platform by going through the program.

Best,
    mark

Hi @rafaelagp, @ClintStLaurent --

The current iOS and Android courses are going to be published in video form on YouTube. We had a limited amount of time, and a very small staff so we decided to focus primarily on Xamarin.Forms for Learn. It will expand over time to include other topics, but we're not planning on moving other content from XamU today. Instead, it would be brand new content that is in the model for Learn vs. the long-form content model used for XamU.

Native iOS and Android dev aren't going away - there's significant enhancement continuing with both. There's no hidden agenda. We just made a decision on what would be the biggest bang for the buck to port given the time and resources available.

Hope that helps!
    mark

Ok. So instead of
    @MarkSmith.8123 said:
    The iOS and Android courses aren't moving to Learn.

Its really

The courses will be on Learn. Older iOS and Android materials are going to YouTube and new updated iOS and Android materials will be created specifically for MS Learn.

Ok. {sigh of relief} That's a big difference.

Yes sorry. Didn’t mean to raise alarms :)

The content and coverage will be there at some point, just not the same structure and order. Learn has a different content model and building modules for it is different. It will be content tailored for that platform and focused on job tasks vs. topics.

• FabioPagano.8562FabioPagano.8562 USMember

Good morning. I have done yesterday the profile transfer to MS Learn. I have an active "Xamarin Certified Mobile Developer" certification and I expected to find a special badge in MS Learn, but I have found only the badges of the Xamarin University coursed that I did for certification.

In the Email received yesterday for transfer, is stated:

"You’ll earn badges for completed courses as well as a special badge if you passed the Xamarin Mobile Developer certification exam.".

Sorry but I cannot find this special badge in my MS Learn profile. For me is very important to show a Xamarin Certification, though I know it's not an official Microsoft Certification.

Also MarkSmith.8123 in the post of December 2018 in this thread wrote:
    "If you already have a certification (earned at any time), that will move forward too. In fact, you will have a unique badge that shows you earned the certification originally at Xamarin University. This badge cannot be earned anywhere else. It's part of the transition process to show the work and effort you went through to get the training you needed to build mobile apps. We hope you will continue to show it on your profiles where you display your current certification badge today.
    It's also important to understand that these can be validated and verified through a public page. So you can prove that you've done the required coursework, passed the quizzes, and built the apps. It's not a simple "earn a badge because I visited your page". We have real task validation in this system - you don't earn credit unless you do the work."

May you kindly help me to find the Xamarin Certification Badge in MS Learn?

Thank you.

• KSTeixeiraKSTeixeira USMember ✭✭

@FabioPagano.8562 said:
    Good morning. I have done yesterday the profile transfer to MS Learn. I have an active "Xamarin Certified Mobile Developer" certification and I expected to find a special badge in MS Learn, but I have found only the badges of the Xamarin University coursed that I did for certification.

In the Email received yesterday for transfer, is stated:

"You’ll earn badges for completed courses as well as a special badge if you passed the Xamarin Mobile Developer certification exam.".

Sorry but I cannot find this special badge in my MS Learn profile. For me is very important to show a Xamarin Certification, though I know it's not an official Microsoft Certification.

Also MarkSmith.8123 in the post of December 2018 in this thread wrote:
    "If you already have a certification (earned at any time), that will move forward too. In fact, you will have a unique badge that shows you earned the certification originally at Xamarin University. This badge cannot be earned anywhere else. It's part of the transition process to show the work and effort you went through to get the training you needed to build mobile apps. We hope you will continue to show it on your profiles where you display your current certification badge today.
    It's also important to understand that these can be validated and verified through a public page. So you can prove that you've done the required coursework, passed the quizzes, and built the apps. It's not a simple "earn a badge because I visited your page". We have real task validation in this system - you don't earn credit unless you do the work."

May you kindly help me to find the Xamarin Certification Badge in MS Learn?

Thank you.

Yep, that's why i went forth for the certification just to have an "old friend developer" badge, but i can't see it there :neutral:

@FabioPagano.8562 said:

Ditto. No badge showing that I was once certified. There is a badge showing Xamarin University Veteran.

We hope you will continue to show it on your profiles where you display your current certification badge today.

However that one isn't sharable - notice the lack of share button on it in the screen shots below.

Maybe having been certified should be a Trophy to signify its more than just a badge? You get a badge for any partial completion event: Like one course out of 30. Seems the certification should count as more than that.

edited May 8

Ditto. No badge showing that I was once certified. There is a badge showing Xamarin University Veteran.

I don't have this one... I have the two certifications :(

You should have a Xamarin University veteran badge as shown in that screenshot from @ClintStLaurent above. It's supposed to be sharable, I'll file a bug with the engineering team to look into that! We might be missing the image for sharing.

That badge cannot be earned through Learn itself - there's no corresponding path or module associated to it. It can only be assigned by transferring your profile and having earned the DEVELOPER cert (the higher one).

Thanks for reporting that!
    mark

• JiriMatejkaJiriMatejka CZMember ✭✭✭

I have the same issue, no Xamarin Certified Mobile Developer badge in my MS Learn profile...

The weird thing here is that the number of badges displayed are different from one to another:

The only different thing i did is that i transferred my profile to an account with a different email, could it be a bug?

• JiriMatejkaJiriMatejka CZMember ✭✭✭

@KSTeixeira said:
    The weird thing here is that the number of badges displayed are different from one to another:

The only different thing i did is that i transferred my profile to an account with a different email, could it be a bug?

I am seeing the same.

It is obviously being updated continuously. When I migrated my XamU profile to MS Learn a week ago, I saw some 8 badges, today I can see 14 ones without any further action from my side.

@MarkSmith.8123 said:
    It can only be assigned by transferring your profile and having earned the DEVELOPER cert (the higher one).

Thanks for the confirmation. So the implication there is If you have the Veteran badge you therefore should have the Developer badge since its a prerequisite. I have the Veteran badge but not the developer one. Do I need to bring that to someone's attention at MSLearn, or through some other channel than here? Or is it something you can research or pass along to the right person?

@ClintStLaurent --

No, not necessarily. The developer cert from XamU required you to complete 5-6 native courses that are not in Learn today, and it omitted a bunch of Xamarin.Forms content we did include. So, you won't get the Customize and add advanced features to Xamarin.Forms apps Learning Path trophy unless you had already taken those additional Forms classes. If you only did the work required to take the exam, that wouldn't be the case.

Bottom line: the badges do not represent certifications in Learn. They represent the modules and learning paths in MS Learn that you have completed. Those modules are based on courses from XamU - so if you took the course, you will get the badge for that module. If you complete all the modules in the path, either through XamU originally or by taking them in Learn now, you get the trophy.

I hope that helps explain how it aligns. So you can get the developer trophy (the second learning path), but you need to look at the learning path and see what you haven't taken yet.

Ok. So bottom line... If I was certified two years (certified, and then renewed certification the next year)… I.E.: Passed certification test two years in a row... I.E: Have a glass plaque and a student monkey... Should I have some sort of certification badge or trophy on MSLearn?

Yes. The Xamarin University Veteran badge. Your scenario is exactly what that badge represents.

@MarkSmith.8123 And what can I do in my case? I earned both certification on Xamarin University and didn't receive the Veteran Badge. Thanks

Assuming you transferred your profile over you should have. I’ve asked our support engineer to look into it.
  • FabioPagano.6054FabioPagano.6054 USMember

@MarkSmith.8123 I have the same issue of the above posts regarding the Veteran Badge (or something that states that I have the Xamarin Developer Certification). As stated in my message some days ago, I have an active "Xamarin Certified Mobile Developer" certification (expires september 2019) and I don't see the Veteran Badge. Moreover the number of the received badges shown on top of the page is 31 while the number of the badges stated at the beginning of badges is 30.

May you kindly verify why I don't see any Xamarin Certification badge (Veteran or other)?

Thank you.

• SamirAdadowSamirAdadow USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai

@KSTeixeira Would you mind email [email protected] about your progress transfer issue? I'd be happy to help look into it. We will most likely need additional details from you.

• Steved65Steved65 Member

Same here, no veteran badge after transferring.

We've got an open ticket with engineering to identify and correct the issue. It's not happening to everyone, but some of you lucky folks have found a fun side feature apparently. Thanks for letting us know!

I confirmed on Microsoft Learning that the issue has been resolved, the badge is there!

Thanks XamGuys for the support! \o/

• SamirAdadowSamirAdadow USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai

@Steved65 said:
    Same here, no veteran badge after transferring.

Hey are you still encountering this issue? Would you mind sending an email to [email protected] That way we can record your issue and communicate additional details if needed.

Thanks!