Expire debug time in real device?

I developped a xamarin.forms app and i've deployed it in my device(Samsung S8) in debug mode with VS2017. After few days,maybe a week, app doesn't run. It opens and shows a white screen. Is there a time after that apps in debug mode don't run anymore?

Best Answer

• GLFicheraGLFichera ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

I noticed that also Debug of these apps was failed. So I unchecked the "use shared runtime" under Andriod option and Debug now works fine and apps too.

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

@GLFichera said:
    I developped a xamarin.forms app and i've deployed it in my device(Samsung S8) in debug mode with VS2017. After few days,maybe a week, app doesn't run. It opens and shows a white screen.

If the app remained in memory for a prolonged period, it may be that you have a memory leak.

If you haven't already, integrate with App Center. If you have access to the profiler, check your app for leaks using the profiler. If you don't have access to the profiler, it's not difficult to implement a class that keeps track of objects that have been constructed but not finalized, even if you just use it to check on subclasses of XF objects initially.

Also, Android will kill idle apps after a period of time. That's something OS does. "White Screen" generally means the app failed to launch all the way up to the first MainScreen. Maybe an exception with binding... Maybe its waiting for data to come in over the 'net while not being multi-threaded. There are a ton of reasons an app fails to launch. What does your logging say? Your app is logging, isn't it? Noting that it made past point alpha, bravo, charlie... constructed this viewmodel and that viewmodel etc. So you should be able to follow that log right up to the point were it doesn't write a log entry you are expecting from the startup process.

• GLFicheraGLFichera Member ✭✭

@ClintStLaurent said:
    Also, Android will kill idle apps after a period of time. That's something OS does. "White Screen" generally means the app failed to launch all the way up to the first MainScreen. Maybe an exception with binding... Maybe its waiting for data to come in over the 'net while not being multi-threaded. There are a ton of reasons an app fails to launch. What does your logging say? Your app is logging, isn't it? Noting that it made past point alpha, bravo, charlie... constructed this viewmodel and that viewmodel etc. So you should be able to follow that log right up to the point were it doesn't write a log entry you are expecting from the startup process.

This situation has happened with others two apps: One more complex..the other very simple. I don't think it's a memory leak. How do Android recognize idle apps?

They've been backgrounded for x period of time. You'd have to check their spec for latest details. Check "tombstone" and "doze" in conjunction with Android

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod
    edited December 5

Deployed debug builds do eventually stop working eventually as the debug signed certificate expires (we're talking a couple of months here I seem to remember) but that manifests itself when you try and start a new instance, as has been suggested, if the device needs the memory for something else your app can be killed.

• GLFicheraGLFichera Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

I noticed that also Debug of these apps was failed. So I unchecked the "use shared runtime" under Andriod option and Debug now works fine and apps too.