VS 15.9.0 upgrade

JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod
edited November 2018 in Visual Studio

Just upgraded VS to 15.9.0 . Now got broken builds for ALL of Android, iOS and UWP. Will spend a while investigating, but suspect a downgrade is ahead.

#be_wary

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnHardman said:
    Just upgraded VS to 15.9.0 . Now got broken builds for ALL of Android, iOS and UWP. Will spend a while investigating, but suspect a downgrade is ahead.

#be_wary

Thank you for the heads up sir! I have VS2017 in a VM on my Mac so might try it this evening, with a snapshot first. ;)

• PierceBogganPierceBoggan USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

Hi @JohnHardman,

Sorry to hear about the broken builds for Visual Studio 2017 version 15.9. Have you filed any tickets via Help > Send Feedback > Report a Problem that I can have the team prioritize? If so, could you share those links?

Additionally, it's possible to also downgrade your Visual Studio instance by following these instructions.

Thanks,
    Pierce Boggan

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod

@JohnHardman said:

#be_wary

Haven't run into these issues on 17.9, it's a big improvement on 15.8.

• FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

@NMackay:
    Hi Norman
    What is the "big improvement" in 15.9 ?

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University mod
    edited November 2018

@FredyWenger

Hi Fredy,

Faster/more stable Android deployment is the main benefit. Unfortunately John is clearly running into an issue.

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod
    edited November 2018

@NMackay said:
    Haven't run into these issues on 17.9, it's a big improvement on 15.8.

Ok. I now have Android building and deploying, but not debugging.

After upgrading to 15.9, after deleting bin/obj folders, rebooting (more than once), all the usual... the Android build was reporting that a resource had been used twice, once in a XML file and once as the name of a png file. I renamed the png file. Suddenly, a load of usings in the MainActivity.cs were highlighted in red, with the message about missing assemblies. I picked one of the usings at random, and updated the NuGet package for the plugin it related to (Xamarin.Forms.AppLinks). Suddenly, all of the other usings were no longer a problem - all of the red highlighting disappeared. I tried a build and it worked. So, I then renamed the png file back to its original name and built again. That worked.

So Android is building again, without too much pain, but with much mystery. It would seem that something was corrupted and that the NuGet update somehow resolved it, as weird as that sounds.

However, although Android builds and deploys, it's still not debugging. That was the reason I updated so early to 15.9, as debugging Android and iOS had stopped working on 15.8. I can do Start Without Debugging, but Start Debugging hangs as soon as the app loads on Android (I see the splash screen, but it gets no further). (I reported that via Help > Send Feedback > Report a Problem for 15.8)

Based on the weird solution for Android, I tried the same for UWP. Picked a NuGet at random (this time Microsoft.NETCore.UniversalWindowsPlatform) and updated it (just a minor version number update, nothing significant). And, like magic, UWP suddenly builds, whereas before it had multiple errors being reported with missing assemblies etc.

The good thing is that with UWP, doing Start Debugging actually works.

edited November 2018

And iOS - picked Microsoft.NETCore.Platforms at random and updated it (another minor version number update). Like Android and UWP, it now builds.

However, although iOS is letting me do Start Debugging and the app is running as a result, no debug information is appearing in the VS Output window and the IDE eventually (incorrectly) reports that "The app has been terminated.". That's marginally better than Android, but not by much.

However, the 15.8 to 15.9 upgrade specific problem (as opposed to a problem carried over from 15.8) seems to be that something goes awry between VS and NuGet, but that updating a NuGet package seems to resolve whatever the problem is. I've used version control to compare the resulting csproj files with what I had before doing the 15.9 upgrade, and the only difference is the expected version number change for whichever NuGet I updated subsequently. Unfortunately, I didn't capture the csproj files before doing the NuGet package update, so cannot compare that against version control.

edited November 2018

Finally got the debugger working again, on both Android and iOS. I'm not sure what fixed it in the end, but I have my suspicions. I usually run Visual Studio Community edition, even though I have Visual Studio Enterprise. For one particular task, I started up Enterprise and found that the license had expired. I logged in again, then shut it down. It may be coincidence, but suddenly Community edition's debugging is working. I'm not going to tempt the gods any more by investigating further, but if anybody else is having problems getting Visual Studio to debug either Android or iOS builds, try logging in again...

I did also do a complete refresh of all NuGet packages for the entire solution, removed references to one package that had vanished from NuGet and coded up the functionality instead. However, my suspicion is that did not affect the debugging issue, even though it was a useful exercise to go through.