Serial over BLE

Hello,

I'd like to create an app that can send and receive text data through Serial over BLE (Xamarin.Forms or plateform specific project with DepedencyService). App must exchange data with a custom device communicating through Serial over BLE.
How to achieve this? Is there any plugin that can do the job?

Thank you!

Answers

• AlessandroCaliaroAlessandroCaliaro ITMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Serial over BLE?? never heard. Are you talking about Bluetooth "classic" (not LE..)??

You can take a look to https://github.com/aritchie/bluetoothle

• Mmh I don't really know. I have developed an app that is using Plugin.BLE (from xabre).
    But instead of using services & characteristics, I'd like to send and receive text data through a serial stream.
    Is that possible?

• AlessandroCaliaroAlessandroCaliaro ITMember ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know, I have never used BLE. You can try to write directly on github page to the plugin's author

• Do you know if there is any example of data transmission using serial over bluetooth classic with xamarin?

• GrahamMcKechnieGrahamMcKechnie AUMember ✭✭

You can connect to BLE devices that can do serial, however the Bluetooth code is not based on Bluetooth Classic code, which uses Android.Bluetooth.BluetoothSocket A BLE device is always going to be BLE code. You would need to contact the device manufacturer to know what the particular service uuid is and then get the TxResponseCharacteristic and rxWriteCharacteristic for that service and most probably a modeCharacteristic to enable writing. They may be other characteristics such as manufacturer name, firmware revision numbers etc. I don't believe there are any generic methods that apply to all BLE devices capable of serial communication, hence the need to contact the manufacturer.

I can't tell from your post if your custom device is really a BLE device or Bluetooth Classic device, so that is the first thing you need to establish.