Forum Visual Studio

Deploying Hello World (Noob question)

Sorry folks for the noob question. I'm an Android developer and an Eclipse guy. I'm trying to get Xamarin running with Visual Studio.

I can't deploy to device or emulator. I get no "Select Device" dialog and, while I can select a device on the toolbar, I still get "The application could not be started..." error messages.

Please don't refer me to the tutorials and/or docs. I have been through them and followed the tutorials meticulously. I get to the point in the "Hello, Android" tutorial that says " let’s run the application as created from the template" but does not tell me how (it tells me how to configure my device...which I have done). I still can't deploy and there is nothing that tells me specifically how.

Thanks for any clues!

• JamesMontemagnoJamesMontemagno USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

If you right click on the solution and go to configuration manager can you make sure you android project is set to deploy. Also does your device show up in the visual studio toolbar. Right click on the visual studio toolbar and make sure Android is selected so you can see the android specific settings.