Build Hello World Xamarin Forms app ist too slow

jancijanci Member ✭✭

I created simple Hello World Xamarin.Forms 3.2.0 application. Shared project is .NET Standard 2.0

Average build time is 52 seconds.

In my opinion build is too slow.

What is your opinion? Is build time OK or is wrong in settings?

Build on Dell Precission M33800

• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4702HQ CPU @ 2.20GHz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Samsung SSD 850 EVO mSATA 500GB
  • Windows 10 x64
  • Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 15.8.6

Answers

• BushbertBushbert Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Depends on what you are building. If you are building an IOS app for example, this could be perfectly reasonable depending on your configuration and hardware.

• jancijanci Member ✭✭

@Bushbert: Build only for Android

• IrongutIrongut Member ✭✭✭

For Rebuild All in Debug mode that is about average for a Xamarin Forms app on my systems and I'm running faster processors than you listed. Release mode is slightly slower and deploying to an emulator or device takes several times longer.

Do I wish it was faster? Yes. But, at the end of the day it's not too bad, I remember waiting 5 minutes for games to load from tape. Take the time to make a coffee, check the sports scores or have a comfort break.

• jancijanci Member ✭✭

@Irongut: Thank you for your test.

• TyRoesleTyRoesle Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018

Visual Studio is usually pretty smart about this, but you could check your Build settings by going to Tools --> Options --> Projects and Solutions --> Build and Run and ensure the "maximum number of parallel project builds" is optimal for your CPU. Based on a quick search, the setting should be set to 8 since your CPU has hyperthreading. You can also try playing with the other settings in there like setting the output verbosity to minimal.

This won't help with the individual project build times, but it would help when building all of the projects at once. But like others have said, these projects typically take a while to build unfortunately. This might just be me, but it seems like Android builds take the longest even for very basic applications. But what can you do ¯_(ツ)_/¯