Forum Xamarin.iOS
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

iOS 12 Breaks Degree Symbol

BrianConradBrianConrad USMember ✭✭✭

I had reports from my iOS users who installed iOS 12 that the degree symbol I use in graphics with the SkiaSharp.Extended plugin is broken and puts the square (character not found) in it's place. So I installed iOS 12 on my iPhone and found it true. It worked under the iOS 11 builds. I'm not sure whether I want to replace it with a colon or wait and see if Apple fixes it. Seems Apple likes to do whatever they want with fonts but that is a weird character to break.

• RuthCrawfordRuthCrawford Member ✭✭

I'm pretty sure either the Japanese or Chinese keyboard has it. Try having a look through the different keyboards.

• BrianConradBrianConrad USMember ✭✭✭

The degree symbol is part of standard (8-bit) ASCII and is character 176 (or Unicode as U+00B0) . It worked fine under iOS 11. To be clear this is the text part of an iconify string i.e. {{icon-sun}} Temp 76[degree symbol here] but I don't think that plugin has anything to do with it. Also the font at least on my iPhone 6 has gone from non-serif to serif which is weird for a system font. At least I'm lucky as that is the only thing I've found in my app that iOS 12 broke.

Anyone trying to deal with this problem I fixed it by declaring the font family for the SkiaPaint pen to "sans-serif" which gets the usual San Francisco sans-serif system font which has the degree symbol.

• JonathanIsabelleJonathanIsabelle USMember
    edited October 2018

@BrianConrad said:
    Anyone trying to deal with this problem I fixed it by declaring the font family for the SkiaPaint pen to "sans-serif" which gets the usual San Francisco sans-serif system font which has the degree symbol.

Thanks for posting your solution. Saved me some time. I had the problem with both the "°" (degree symbol) and the "±" (+/- symbol).

I made a little comparison image of font characters 128-255 of the sans-serif system font and the iOS 12 serif font to demonstrate what characters were left out in the latter.