Forum Visual Studio

IOS designer missing ?

Hello. I'm new to use Xamarin studio. I follow step from documentation section and found inside the IDE had IOS designer. But when I double click at .storyboard file, it still open Xcode designer. I found some answer that tell me to update at alpha channel, I already update (version 4.3.3 build 2) and it's still open Xcode designer. How do I do?

• moljacmoljac HRBeta ✭✭✭

In order to use iOS designer switch to Alpha channel. Then *.storyboard files should be opened in XS Designer. If not do context menu (right click) and open with.

• WasinWasin THMember

Dear, @moljac‌. I already switch to alpha channel. It's still open from Xcode designer and I not found XS designer (I'm not sure, it's stand for iOS designer right?).

Hi

And what is extension of the file You are trying to open? I cannot see from screenshot. Is it *.storyboard? Designer cannot work with *.xib files.

• WasinWasin THMember

Oh sorry, @moljac‌. Ok, I try both (.storyboard and .xib) and the result are same. In the screenshot, I create the new iPhone project and double clicks at the storyboard file. It's still open the Xcode. :(

• AmyBAmyB USXamarin Team Xamurai

Hi @Wasin‌

This was updated slightly in the newest Alpha (4.3.3). You now have to enable the iOS designer manually, which can be done by following the steps in this doc http://docs.xamarin.com/guides/ios/user_interface/designer/setting_up_the_designer/

• WasinWasin THMember

Oh, It's work @AmyB‌. Thank you very much for your help. :D

@Wasin - saw Your mail and as soon as I came home tried this out and was confused.

Good Amy is here..

Thanks for clarification

• dapugdapug USMember ✭✭

I don't see the iOS designer. I cannot follow the instructions Amy posted because Preferences/Projects/iOS is missing. Storyboard only opens in Xcode.

• JonDouglasJonDouglas USXamarin Team, University, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

@dapug What channel and version of Xamarin Studio/Xamarin.iOS are you currently on? Alpha/Beta/Stable?

You could possibly try going to alpha/beta as I remember it being in there a couple months ago. Not quite sure if it made it into stable.

• dapugdapug USMember ✭✭

Ah, I missed the part where this is perhaps not in the official build. I'm on 4.2.3 build 60.

FWIW, the docs don't really state what version a feature is available, so it is assumed that what I see there is applicable in the latest release.

• KMullinsKMullins USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited April 2014

@dapug‌, The iOS designer is currently available only in the Alpha & Beta builds.