Forum Visual Studio

Layout file "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Gordon.DavenportGordon.Davenport USUniversity
edited February 2014 in Visual Studio

I have a layout file that works just fine when compiling the app and running it, but when I try to open it in the Layout Editor I get this error.

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.UpdateConflict.Unscape (System.String s) [0x0000c] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-4.2.3-branch/f3fd2a85/source/md-addins/MonoDevelop.MonoDroid/Xamarin.AndroidDesigner/Xamarin.AndroidDesigner/UpdateConflict.cs:131 
  at Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.PropertyChangeConflict.ParseChangeString (System.String s) [0x00103] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-4.2.3-branch/f3fd2a85/source/md-addins/MonoDevelop.MonoDroid/Xamarin.AndroidDesigner/Xamarin.AndroidDesigner/UpdateConflict.cs:314 
  at Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.UpdateConflict.ParseConflict (IEnumerable`1 layouts, System.String s) [0x00247] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-4.2.3-branch/f3fd2a85/source/md-addins/MonoDevelop.MonoDroid/Xamarin.AndroidDesigner/Xamarin.AndroidDesigner/UpdateConflict.cs:223 
  at Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.LayoutInfo.ParseConflicts (IEnumerable`1 layouts) [0x00042] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-4.2.3-branch/f3fd2a85/source/md-addins/MonoDevelop.MonoDroid/Xamarin.AndroidDesigner/Xamarin.AndroidDesigner/LayoutInfo.cs:171 
  at Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.AndroidDesignerSession.LoadFile (System.String layoutPath) [0x00199] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-4.2.3-branch/f3fd2a85/source/md-addins/MonoDevelop.MonoDroid/Xamarin.AndroidDesigner/Xamarin.AndroidDesigner/AndroidDesignerSession.cs:277 
  at MonoDevelop.MonoDroid.Gui.AndroidDesignerView.Load (System.String fileName) [0x001a3] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-4.2.3-branch/f3fd2a85/source/md-addins/MonoDevelop.MonoDroid/MonoDevelop.MonoDroid/Gui/AndroidDesignerView.cs:135 
  at MonoDevelop.Ide.Gui.LoadFileWrapper.Invoke (System.String fileName) [0x00116] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/monodevelop-lion-monodevelop-4.2.3-branch/f3fd2a85/source/monodevelop/main/src/core/MonoDevelop.Ide/MonoDevelop.Ide.Gui/Workbench.cs:1278 

Anybody out there encountered this before and have somewhere to start looking for a solution?

• Gordon.DavenportGordon.Davenport USUniversity

UPDATE: The answer to this, if anyone has it again. Was a Property Change Conflict remark at the bottom of all the layout files that were not default.

At Some point the property that was in conflict was removed from the Default Layout. I am not sure what is going on in the background that causes this error.

• mhutchmhutch USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

It sounds like a bug in the code for resolving conflicts between properties in layout. Could you please file a bug and include the trace, version info, and if possible, the layout files? Thanks!

• SuniSuni USMember

Having Same Problem...Plz help I cant even start working on layout

• I am also facing similar issue.