Application crashing after upgrading to iOS 12

We have made a couple of iPad applications and since the upgrade to iOS 12 they crash at launch and we are unable to start the applications anymore.

In the log (via Privacy - Analytics - Analytics Data in Settings) shows an error, reporting it is missing the CoreNFC library;
Termination Description: DYLD, Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreNFC.framework/CoreNFC | Referenced from: /var/containers/Bundle/Application/GUID/APPNAME/CLASSNAME | Reason: image not found

The only thing I have found says it is possible to mark a library as optional, but I am unable to find out how to do that, to find out if it resolves the issue.

Any help in resolving the problem would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tagged:

Best Answer

• WebControl.PeterWebControl.Peter GB ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Thanks for everyone's help, turns out it was an issue with Xamarin.iOS updated to the latest version (12.0.0.15) along with a Visual Studio update (15.8.5) today and manage to create a working build for our applications, I think it was related to the issue that ColeX had linked to, as although we have not used NFC that was in the crash log as a library it was trying to load.

Answers

• DannyCDannyC US ✭✭✭✭

This might be due to a missing "new" entitlement. You might need to add the "Near Field Communucation Tag Reading" capability.

See these links:
    https://developer.apple.com/documentation/corenfc/building_an_nfc_tag_reader_app
    https://help.apple.com/developer-account/#/dev21218dfd6

• ColeXColeX Member, Xamarin Team Xamurai

It seems that applications using CoreNFC will crash on iOS 12 devices that does not support NFC.

Details refer to https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin-macios/issues/4628

• @ColeX said:
    It seems that applications using CoreNFC will crash on iOS 12 devices that does not support NFC.

Thank you ColeX for the message, and I had found that link, and even though my applications do not use NFC I did try to place the code from that snippet and got 'NFC not available' in the simulator but still crashes on launch via TestFlight, probably as the message above the apps do not have the entitlement as they do not use NFC, not sure why it was trying to load the library before I added the code snippet (the first reference to CoreNFC in the app).

• @DannyC said:
    This might be due to a missing "new" entitlement. You might need to add the "Near Field Communucation Tag Reading" capability.

Thank you DannyC for the response, and I am considering getting the entitlement to see if it resolves my problem, the strange thing is the apps do not use NFC I have no reference to it, not sure why it they have started to try and load the library since iOS 12, not sure if they did before, as they never crashed at startup until now, fairly simple apps the only common thing between both is they both use MVVMLight, not sure what to try, had heard you can mark frameworks as optional but not even sure how to do that in Xamarin.iOS

• WebControl.PeterWebControl.Peter GBMember ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Thanks for everyone's help, turns out it was an issue with Xamarin.iOS updated to the latest version (12.0.0.15) along with a Visual Studio update (15.8.5) today and manage to create a working build for our applications, I think it was related to the issue that ColeX had linked to, as although we have not used NFC that was in the crash log as a library it was trying to load.

• ethanwjonesethanwjones Member ✭✭

You can recreate crashes with session recordings. It's a pretty cool tool actually, here's an example https://www.appsee.com/features/crash-videos-and-symbolication

• thedeethedee USMember ✭✭

@WebControl.Peter said:

What did you do to get a working build? We have a customer who has iPhone XS with 12.2 and the application crashes on startup. I was hoping that xcode would show the crash in TestFlight but it doesn'.t