Forum Visual Studio

Android SDK Manager complains with "Loading SDK component information failed" in VS2017

Hello

I would like to build mobile apps using Xamarin and Visual Studio 2017 Enterprise (15.8.4). I therefor followed Microsofts documentation on installing the whole stack. I choose the Mobile Development with .NET workload from the installer, expecting it to pull in all the necessary dependencies.

Unfortunately when I try to launch the Android SDK Manager from within Visual Studio i get Loading SDK component information failed. Please retry.

What I have tried so far:

  • Repairing VS
  • Launching VS as local admin
  • Reinstalling the AndroidSDK/NDK and Xamarin packages

What am I doing wrong?

Answers

  • JonDouglasJonDouglas USXamarin Team, University, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

    @matze2ooo

    Can you double check to ensure that the Android SDK within Visual Studio has a proper path defined? You can find this by going to Tools > Options > Xamarin > Android Settings.

    Additionally, you should have logs found in Help > Xamarin > Zip Logs that you can attach here and we can look at what's going on.

    Thanks!

  • matze2ooomatze2ooo Member ✭✭

    Hi Jon, thanks for your reply.

    I think the defined path should be fine. Please see attached screenshot (can post links yet...)

    It seems that Xamarin isnt logging anything when clicking on "Tools > Android > Android SDK Manager", but maybe you can find another hint within logs. Please find them attached.

    Interesstingly when starting the sdkmanager.exe manually (non evaluated) from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Xamarin\AndroidSdkManager" it works!!

    I have posted more information on stackoverflow, unfortunately I cant post links yet...

    Thanks a lot for any further hint on how to solve this.

  • matze2ooomatze2ooo Member ✭✭

    Ah finally some more information from *ide.log.

    Xamarin.VisualStudio.Android.XamarinAndroidPackage|Warning|0|Initializing Xamarin.VisualStudio.Android.XamarinAndroidPackage
    Xamarin.VisualStudio.UnhandledExceptionsManager|Error|0|An unhandled error occurred. Details: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: versions

    System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: versions
    at Xamarin.Android.Tools.AndroidSdkInfo.GetInstalledPlatformVersions(AndroidVersions versions) in E:\A_work\122\s\External\androidtools\external\xamarin-android-tools\src\Xamarin.Android.Tools.AndroidSdk\AndroidSdkInfo.cs:line 81
    at Xamarin.AndroidTools.AndroidSdk.GetInstalledPlatformVersions(AndroidVersions versions) in E:\A_work\122\s\External\androidtools\Xamarin.AndroidTools\AndroidSdk.cs:line 485
    at Xamarin.AndroidTools.AndroidSdk.TrackApiLevels(Dictionary`2 telemetryProperties) in E:\A_work\122\s\External\androidtools\Xamarin.AndroidTools\AndroidSdk.cs:line 329
    at Xamarin.AndroidTools.AndroidSdk.<>c.b__5_0() in E:\A_work\122\s\External\androidtools\Xamarin.AndroidTools\AndroidSdk.cs:line 86
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

  • matze2ooomatze2ooo Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

    Also when trying to start Android Device Manager, the window pops up, but then vanishes after a second or so.

    If I understand the above exception correctly then the Xamarin.Android extension is not able to get information about the installed AndroidSDK versions on my system.

    I have attached the output of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\tools\bin>sdkmanager --list"

    I also realized that a couple of licenses hadnt been accepted. So I ran "sdkmanager --licenses" elevated and accepted all of them. However it did not make a change from within visual studio to the aforementioned problem.

    Maybe there is some environment variable missing?

  • matze2ooomatze2ooo Member ✭✭

    Here is the link to the relevant class "AndroidSdkInfo.cs" that throws the above mentioned error. It seems that the parameter "version" is null and therefore it throws a ArgumentNullException

    https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin-android-tools/blob/9e78d6ee586b498d0ea082b3bc00432c23583dd1/src/Xamarin.Android.Tools.AndroidSdk/AndroidSdkInfo.cs#L81

  • bunty29985bunty29985 Member
    edited March 2019

    I'm running to the same issue on Windows 2012 R2 server (VS 2017 Enterprise 15.9.9). Logs attached

  • matze2ooomatze2ooo Member ✭✭
    I "solved" this issue by reinstalling Windows 10. Maybe deleting my user profile would have been enough. Something with my Visual Studio installation was seriously messed up...
  • Usama169Usama169 Member

    I just try the following
    Tools>>Android>>Android SDK Manager>>bottom right setting opt and select Google it works for me😁

Sign In or Register to comment.