Forum Visual Studio

Trying to run the Tasky example solution

Hi Folks,

Completely new to XS - just downloaded the free version to take for a test drive. I downloaded the Tasky solution, pressed F5 within XS (after I opened the solution of course), selected the suggested version of android and all I get is the android emulator. No Tasky. Am I missing something here? I use VisualStudio every day and know c# so I'm very interested in getting into the whole smart phone app development movement.

Thanx!

• mhutchmhutch USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Did you hit the "Ok" button to select the emulator as the target device after you started it?

• EricDowneyEricDowney USMember

Ah, ok. I've got it now. It wasn't really clear to me since the emulator did 'start' and the ok button is greyed out unless you click on the emulator that you just started it - then it becomes available. Once you click on the ok button though you may want to get some coffee or something 'cause it took on the order of minutes to be ready for me use. I could see up in the progress window it was loading stuff...for quite a while. And I'm running an I7. Thanks for the help!

• mhutchmhutch USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Yes, the Android ARM emulator is very slow. I'd recommend trying try a hardware-accelerated x86 emulator, if your machine supports it. The best option is a physical device though.