Catching global exceptions in Android

SiflouSiflou Claude USMember ✭✭

Hey guys,

I have an Android app where we use flurry to log crash to help us track bugs better. In iOS we Simply put a try/catch block on the UIApplication.Main(args,null,"someDelegate"); and it automatically catches all unhandled exception. I want to do the same with my Android application. I have tried 3 things already that have not worked for me. Here is a code example of what I have used.

`#region TEST_HANDLE_METHODS

void HandleAndroidException(object sender, RaiseThrowableEventArgs e)
    {
        e.Handled = true;
        Console.Write ("HANDLED EXCEPTION");
    }

static void HandleExceptions(object sender,UnhandledExceptionEventArgs e)
    {
        //Exception d = (Exception)e.ExceptionObject;
        Console.WriteLine("TEST");
    }

#endregion

#region ACTIVITY_LIFE_CYCLE

protected override void OnCreate (Bundle bundle)
    {
        //
        base.OnCreate (bundle);

//Test1
        AppDomain currentDomain = AppDomain.CurrentDomain;
        currentDomain.UnhandledException += new UnhandledExceptionEventHandler(HandleExceptions);

//Test2
        AndroidEnvironment.UnhandledExceptionRaiser +=  HandleAndroidException;

//Test3
        Java.Lang.Thread.DefaultUncaughtExceptionHandler = new ExceptHandler ();
             }`

The except handle is just a class that derives from Java.Lang.Object and that implements Java.Lang.Tread.IUncaughtExceptionHandler and that has a Console.Writeline("Test"); in the UncaughtException method.
So does anybody has any solutions for this ?

Thanks a lot for your time,

Claude

• SiflouSiflou Claude USMember ✭✭

Hey there,

Just found out that The Solution 2 is actually working. What is not working is the Console.WriteLine. I used Android.Util.Log.Debug ("TEST", "Test3"); instead and I got to see my test message. Tried it with solution 1 and 3 but they were still not working so if someone encounters the same problem use my test2 as a solution.

Thanks a lot and have a great day,

Claude

• rmaciasrmacias Ruben Macias USBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014

When you say "not working", what is it that you are expecting to happen, and what is actually happening?

Well I expected to see the log in the console to see that when I throw an exception that my handler works properly. But as I said, solution 2 actually works it is just the Console.Writeline that is not working, used Android.Util.Log.Debug function and I saw that throwing exception was successfully catched.

Thanks a lot,

Thanks a lot rmacis, I'll check this out :)

• ThomasFlemmingThomasFlemming Thomas Flemming DEMember ✭✭

Thanks for this explaination. Its very useful to write the exception-message to a file in the UnhandledException handler.

Is there also a way to inform the user about this? Showing an AlertDialog or Nessagebox?
    Since the app.context is gone already, I can't use any Android-functions anymore.
    Tom

• AjaySharma.5121AjaySharma.5121 Ajay Sharma USMember

@RubenMacias : If our application have killed before going to Global Exception Handler then how can I prevent my application to become crash ?

@AjaySharma.5121 you don't unfortunately. Android doesn't work that way.

• AjaySharma.5121AjaySharma.5121 Ajay Sharma USMember
    edited January 2016

@RubenMacias : Thanks for reply. It means to prevent my application become crash, I need to use try catch block on my each UI code where there may be a chance to get crash ?

edited January 2016

You could do that, but that doesn't guarantee protection from exceptions raised from the Dalvik/ART side. There's no 100% fail safe to protect an Android app from crashing.