Forum Xamarin.Android

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

Is many shared preference a bad thing?

Xammy10Xammy10 Member ✭✭✭

I having this error:

08-29 18:01:11.640 D/Mono (15598): GC_TAR_BRIDGE bridges 0 objects 0 opaque 0 colors 0 colors-bridged 0 colors-visible 0 xref 0 cache-hit 0 cache-semihit 0 cache-miss 0 setup 0.00ms tarjan 0.00ms scc-setup 0.00ms gather-xref 0.00ms xref-setup 0.00ms cleanup 0.01ms
08-29 18:01:11.640 D/Mono (15598): GC_BRIDGE: Complete, was running for 0.13ms
08-29 18:01:11.640 D/Mono (15598): GC_MAJOR: (user request) time 172.99ms, stw 175.87ms los size: 3228K in use: 1481K
08-29 18:01:11.640 D/Mono (15598): GC_MAJOR_SWEEP: major size: 5488K in use: 4448K
08-29 18:01:11.640 I/monodroid-gc(15598): 46887 outstanding GREFs. Performing a full GC!

The only thing I add is another shared preference (I already have 4 of it) and this error start to occur.
I'm using shared preference so I can Identify my activity.

Is it bad to use too many shared preference? Even tho I save a very small amount of data.
And what is the source of this error? maybe its not shared preference.

Thanks in advance :)

Best Answer

• Xammy10Xammy10 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018 Accepted Answer

I solve the problem, so basically, its not shared preference fault :) . You can use as many shared preference as you want. my problems is the instantiation of the activity.

Im using:

public SampleActivity activitySample = new SampleActivity();

That's why that error is showing.

===========================

But I try changing it to this:

public SampleActivity activitySample;

and on my on create:

activitySample = new SampleActivity();

I separate the variable creating and Initialization.

I still don't get what is the difference of these two, but it solves the error when I did these :)

Answers

• ArindamSarkarArindamSarkar Member ✭✭

@Enohara SharePreference is for minimal data and remember data is retained even after application is killed. Please check the size of data stored and if that data is really a candidate for it. Is the data has a cross reference with other object, hence GC can't collect it?

@ArindamSarkar I'm still not sure and still searching for it, but the time I add another shared preference, that error starts to show up

• ArindamSarkarArindamSarkar Member ✭✭

@Enohara are you running in Debug build or in release Build, that also matters for GC

edited August 2018

Debug build, btw, I'm using some kiosk for this project of mine :)
    And I still don't know what is the cause of that error, I tried to create an application with many shared preference but its actually working normal :)

edited August 2018 Accepted Answer

I solve the problem, so basically, its not shared preference fault :) . You can use as many shared preference as you want. my problems is the instantiation of the activity.

Im using:

public SampleActivity activitySample = new SampleActivity();

That's why that error is showing.

===========================

But I try changing it to this:

public SampleActivity activitySample;

and on my on create:

activitySample = new SampleActivity();

I separate the variable creating and Initialization.

I still don't get what is the difference of these two, but it solves the error when I did these :)