Using the New Xamarin.Forms Controls Toolbox

JingletonJingleton DEForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

New post by Maddy Leger: "Using the New Xamarin.Forms Controls Toolbox"

Read it here.

Discuss below.

• I have the latest updates to VS 2017 15.8.1, I have xamarin forms 3.1 but the toolbox is empty, any ideas? Thanks!

• maddyleger1maddyleger1 Member, Xamarin Team mod

@BarrettTenney.7146 said:
    I have the latest updates to VS 2017 15.8.1, I have xamarin forms 3.1 but the toolbox is empty, any ideas? Thanks!

Hi there! Try right clicking on the toolbox surface, selecting "Reset Toolbox" (which should clear everything), and then close and reopen your Xamarin.Forms project in VS. The toolbox will only show items if you have a Xamarin.Forms XAML file open in the editor!

• no luck even restarted VS a couple times trying the reset on toolbox each time

no luck even restarted VS a couple times trying the reset on toolbox each time

Hmmmm. If you could file a bug (Help -> Send Feedback -> Report a Problem) we can try to look into it for you! Thanks!

• DbiraDbira USMember ✭✭

Awesome feature, that we needed it from a while in order to make it more easy mostly in training sessions.
    But my question is can we export our personalized controls? so we can add them on another computer or send them as a file?
    Thank you.

• ncunningncunning GBUniversity ✭✭

no luck even restarted VS a couple times trying the reset on toolbox each time

I found this worked if i have the toolbox pinned and opened a xaml file which was not already previously open in the editor.
    If i already had XAML windows opened in the editor then the toolbox items don't show until you close them down and reopen.

Note: Additionall incase the above doesn't work i right clicked on the Toolbox window and selected "Choose Item" then the .net Componets tab took awhile to refresh but once this was showing components i closed and opened a new XAML view.
    Everythign worked after that.
    Hope this helps

• @ncunning closing all xaml files then doing "Note: Additionall incase the above doesn't work i right clicked on the Toolbox window and selected "Choose Item" then the .net Componets tab took awhile to refresh but once this was showing components i closed and opened a new XAML view." did the trick. Thanks!

• Looks great! When can we expect the Properties Tool Window to work for XAML?

@Dbira said:
    Awesome feature, that we needed it from a while in order to make it more easy mostly in training sessions.
    But my question is can we export our personalized controls? so we can add them on another computer or send them as a file?
    Thank you.

Right now we don't support adding your own personalized controls to the toolbox. As far as sharing the control itself, custom controls are their own class, so they can be in their own XAML file which can then be shared.

@harlow_burgess said:
    Looks great! When can we expect the Properties Tool Window to work for XAML?

Good question! You can track the progress of the property panel overall on GitHub here: https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.PropertyEditing

We're currently working on integrating this into Xamarin.Forms XAML - no release date yet, but it is in progress.

• ThomasPauchardThomasPauchard USMember ✭✭

Hi,

Visual Studio 15.8.2, toolbox still empty.

I tried @ncunning solution but not working.

• @Jingleton @maddyleger1
    Toolbox is empty.
    VS 15.9.0 Preveiw 2.0
    Already tried reset, etc.

edited September 2018

@verysimplenick said:
    @Jingleton @maddyleger1
    Toolbox is empty.
    VS 15.9.0 Preveiw 2.0
    Already tried reset, etc.

@verysimplenick I haven't seen this behavior yet on 15.9.0 Preview 2 - Could you go to Help -> Submit Feedback -> Report a Problem & submit through there? That way we can investigate the issue. Thanks!

@ThomasPauchard said:
    Hi,

Visual Studio 15.8.2, toolbox still empty.

I tried @ncunning solution but not working.

Hmmm. This shouldn't be happening after trying that solution - Could you go to Help -> Submit Feedback -> Report a Problem & submit through there? That way we can investigate the issue. Thanks!

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

@ncunning closing all xaml files then doing "Note: Additionall incase the above doesn't work i right clicked on the Toolbox window and selected "Choose Item" then the .net Componets tab took awhile to refresh but once this was showing components i closed and opened a new XAML view." did the trick. Thanks!

So you're saying you didn't actually choose any specific DLL's in the dialog? Just opening and waiting for it to reload (re-evaluate) all the things it is supposed to be using made a difference?

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

Even after going through all the various suggestions... including having it pinned before opening a XAML doc... it doesn't work.

• @ClintStLaurent said:

@ncunning closing all xaml files then doing "Note: Additionall incase the above doesn't work i right clicked on the Toolbox window and selected "Choose Item" then the .net Componets tab took awhile to refresh but once this was showing components i closed and opened a new XAML view." did the trick. Thanks!

So you're saying you didn't actually choose any specific DLL's in the dialog? Just opening and waiting for it to reload (re-evaluate) all the things it is supposed to be using made a difference?

yeah, I haven't actually used it though since I got it to work that one time.

• BretAJohnsonBretAJohnson USMember ✭✭

For folks having problems getting the Forms toolbox controls to show up, please see here for two known issues and their workarounds:
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/322001/xamarinforms-toolbox-empty.html

If the toolbox doesn't work for you & your issue isn't one of the two described above (custom page control or project in solution folder) then please add a comment on the above ticket that describes your scenario and we'll dig in. Thanks.