Visual Studio for Mac vs JetBrains Rider

ClayZuvichClayZuvich USMember ✭✭
edited August 2018 in General

I hate to bash Visual Studio for Mac on this forum, but the last few releases of Visual Studio for Mac have been awful. For the last few months, developers have had to deal with an unusable IDE for Mac.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/240790/editor-becomes-so-slow-its-unusable-after-a-while.html

And now with the latest release, the performance is better, but the IDE now crashes, intellisense is broken, editing XAML is flakey, and syntax highlighting is broken. It's literally at a point where I'm tired of it.

Does anyone have experience with other IDE's? I'm looking at Rider. I'm currently working on a Xamarin Forms project, and I do realize XAML preview is missing; however, I'd MUCH rather have that problem than the litany of issues with VS for Mac.

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@ClayZuvich said:
    I hate to bash Visual Studio for Mac on this forum, but the last few releases of Visual Studio for Mac have been awful. For the last few months, developers have had to deal with an unusable IDE for Mac.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/240790/editor-becomes-so-slow-its-unusable-after-a-while.html

And now with the latest release, the performance is better, but the IDE now crashes, intellisense is broken, editing XAML is flakey, and syntax highlighting is broken. It's literally at a point where I'm tired of it.

Quick question here, what version of VS4Mac are you using? You say you are on the latest but the release notes say it fixed many if not all of those issues.

• ClayZuvichClayZuvich USMember ✭✭
    edited August 2018

7.6 (Build 2190), but I just got a notification this morning that there's a new release specifically for these issues. I'll post my findings in this thread.

See this thread for my previous discussion in the Visual Studio forum.

https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/137128/visual-studio-for-7-6-build-2190-community-syntax-highlighting-intellisense-missing#latest

• ClayZuvichClayZuvich USMember ✭✭

Ok... so the IDE is still very buggy. I still get syntax highlighting and intellisense issues. So again... anyone else have experience with Rider?

• DalmasDalmas FRMember ✭✭
    edited September 2018

For Intellisense and refactoring, and as a code editor in general, Rider is miles ahead of Visual Studio for Mac. It is much more powerful and reliable. I use Rider for all C# development on Mac (Xamarin and Unity) for 1 year now and have never regretted it.

Unfortunately Rider has only partial support for Xamarin so you will not be able to use it 100% of the time, and you can also expect a few random bugs and configuration issues. But VS for Mac is so bad that it doesn't bother me at all to switch between Rider/VS depending on what I am doing.

• FinHorsleyFinHorsley USMember ✭✭

Rider has just released their latest version, with Xamarin support. https://www.jetbrains.com/rider/whatsnew/#v2019-1

• MichaelMuegelMichaelMuegel US ✭✭

Holly cow I just started using Rider. Relives so many of my pain points with VS Mac. I use #if/etc a fair amount for conditionalization between my watchOS and iOS code. This breaks Intellisense and other in VS.Mac. Rider: no problems.

If you code on the Mac try Rider.

• DavidCarawayDavidCaraway USBeta ✭✭
    edited July 8

I tried it. I don't think Microsoft will lose any sleep over it. Microsoft has always hit the sweet spot between novice and expert. Their competitors, not so much. Then again, for my few remaining legacy Android projects I still use Eclipse because I can't stand Android Studio. All Jet Brains did was take something that was easy and make it complicated. Somewhat surprising because Resharper is a beast and without peers. To get some nice features I give up simplicity; something this guy loves. Of course, I'm one who believes you need to keep power users as far away from UI design as possible lol.

I can absolutely see how some users would love it though. Heck, I knew a lot of developers at my last company who thought VI was superior to VS.

• HortinzHortinz GBMember ✭✭

Great for refactoring but with tons of bugs. I use VS for Mac 98% of the time and when some refactoring is needed I usually go for Jetbrains Rider