is windows version of xamarin/visual studio more powerful than mac version?

step8601step8601 USMember ✭✭
edited August 2018 in Visual Studio

i might hire some developers who would create a pretty complex system for me using visual studio, the system would be multi-platform, app, browser, etc

the devs might have the windows version of visual studio, but i might use visual studio on both a win laptop and also a macbook pro machine (i'll be using sketchapp on the mac for wireframing)

the idea is that they would create the code for me, but i would compile the final version and install it

so, i want to make sure that no matter what the devs create on their win versions of visual studio that i can compile it on my macbook pro machine without any issues, including further development and maintenance

does the win version of visual studio have any features that the mac version does not have?

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

is windows version of xamarin/visual studio more powerful than mac version?

Yes. By leaps and bounds as a result of being a decade more advanced.
    Windows Visual Studio has existed for over a decade in one form or another and has been a major developer tool for the entire microsoft eco system.
    Visual Studio Mac evolved from Xamarin Studio Mac, and is only a couple years old.

does the win version of visual studio have any features that the mac version does not have?

Again.... Tons

You'd be able to compile and deploy from the Mac version - probably. But the Windows versions has far more development tools, debuggers, analyzers, memory assessment tools etc.

If I were you, I'd install VMFusion on the Mac, then install the Windows version of Visual Studio.

i might hire some developers who would create a pretty complex system for me using visual studio,
    i can compile it on my macbook pro machine without any issues, including further development and maintenance

Be sure its not some 3rd world outsourcer from India or Asia. You'll find a clone of your app under another name out on the market 30 days after your check clears - and the code you get will be horrible spaghetti with no good practices followed.

• step8601step8601 USMember ✭✭
    edited August 2018

thanks for the directness, exactly what i was hoping for

i'll continue using sketchapp for wireframing, but i'll use win version for vs/x going forward

super thanks :smile:

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be remiss if I didn't throw this out... If you have to ask this, then you've probably never written a Xamarin cross-platform app. Even if you are an experienced developer you really should go through the Xamarin University course if its your intent to do further work on that code you have others make. I came from 20 years of development, 15 of it in WPF flavor of XAML/MVVM and thought...

Oh, its just another XAML/MVVM - how different can it be?

Boy was I wrong. The entire mobile and cross-platform eco-system requires a bunch of understanding that you don't encounter when making desktop programs.