Why I can't run my App in Visual Studio?

BlancaBlanca Member ✭✭

Hi I'm completely new at Xamarin and I have spent a lot of time trying to run this App, cause a I don't have any experience.
There's an App in my work made in VisualStudio 2015 (Version = 14.0.24720.0) and I'm trying to run in Visual Studio 2017.
I solved some conflicts but I just can't make it work, neither in the Android Simulator nor in my Phone (Samsung Galaxy S5 mini- API 19)
The App has no errors but have some warnings.

My company has not given me certificates, so my first question is if it's necessary to have a developer certificate or a distribution certificate in order to deploy the App in the Simulator or my phone? I just wanna be able to test it and then upload it to the AppStore and PlayStore.

Somebody can explain me what I'm doing wrong? :(

This is what "Implementing on the device" windows shows me:

Target _Sign:
Deleting file "bin/Release/sv.proj.dgii-Signed.apk".
/Users/palacios/Library/Developer/Xamarin/android-sdk-macosx/build-tools/27.0.3/zipalign 4 "/Users/palacios/Downloads/Company/AppProj.Droid/obj/Release/android/bin/sv.proj.dgii.apk" "bin/Release//sv.proj.dgii-Signed.apk"
/usr/bin/java -jar /Users/palacios/Library/Developer/Xamarin/android-sdk-macosx/build-tools/27.0.3/lib/apksigner.jar sign --ks "/Users/Boss/Dropbox/Company/Android/Signing Keys/Company_android_xamarin-1.keystore" --ks-pass pass:"#xxxxxxxxx" --ks-key-alias AppProj --key-pass pass:"#xxxxxxxxx" --min-sdk-version 15 --max-sdk-version 27 /Users/palacios/Downloads/company/AppProj.Droid/bin/Release/sv.proj.dgii-Signed.apk
Failed to load signer "signer #1"
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /Users/Boss/Dropbox/Company/Android/Signing Keys/Company_android_xamarin-1.keystore (No such file or directory)
at java.io.FileInputStream.open0(Native Method)
at java.io.FileInputStream.open(FileInputStream.java:195)
at java.io.FileInputStream.(FileInputStream.java:138)
at java.io.FileInputStream.(FileInputStream.java:93)
at com.android.apksigner.ApkSignerTool$SignerParams.loadKeyStoreFromFile(ApkSignerTool.java:828)
at com.android.apksigner.ApkSignerTool$SignerParams.loadPrivateKeyAndCertsFromKeyStore(ApkSignerTool.java:719)
at com.android.apksigner.ApkSignerTool$SignerParams.loadPrivateKeyAndCerts(ApkSignerTool.java:659)
at com.android.apksigner.ApkSignerTool$SignerParams.access$500(ApkSignerTool.java:611)
at com.android.apksigner.ApkSignerTool.sign(ApkSignerTool.java:266)
at com.android.apksigner.ApkSignerTool.main(ApkSignerTool.java:89)
/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/Xamarin/Android/Xamarin.Android.Common.targets(2605,2): error MSB6006: "java" exited with code 2.
Done building target "_Sign" in project "AppProj.Droid.csproj" -- FAILED.

Done building project "AppProj.Droid.csproj" -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.

Answers

• AlessandroCaliaroAlessandroCaliaro ITMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems a keystore file problem

/Users/Boss/Dropbox/Company/Android/Signing Keys/Company_android_xamarin-1.keystore (No such file or directory)

I think you can use Debug mode instead of Release mode to do some tests
  • ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

You're biting off more than you can chew.

Start with a new solution in VS2017 - Can you make that work without the added complications of importing a VS2015 solution? If you can't make "Welcome to Xamarin" work out of the box there is no way you're going to import anything and have that work.

I just wanna be able to test it and then upload it to the AppStore and PlayStore.

So you're QA? Its silly to have the developers build in VS2015 and have QA build in VS2017: If it fails you can't say its bad code because there are too many discrepancies.

If you are testing, you don't need Visual Studio at all. The developer builds the app and gives you the APK. Copy it to the downloads directory of your android device. It will install. Run it. Test it. Pass or fail it. Heck, if you have email on the testing device the developer could email the APK to you and you can download and install it directly from the email app.

• BlancaBlanca Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018

@AlessandroCaliaro said:
    It seems a keystore file problem

/Users/Boss/Dropbox/Company/Android/Signing Keys/Company_android_xamarin-1.keystore (No such file or directory)

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try Debug mode to see if it works this way.

• BlancaBlanca Member ✭✭

@ClintStLaurent said:

You're biting off more than you can chew.

Start with a new solution in VS2017 - Can you make that work without the added complications of importing a VS2015 solution? If you can't make "Welcome to Xamarin" work out of the box there is no way you're going to import anything and have that work.

I just wanna be able to test it and then upload it to the AppStore and PlayStore.

So you're QA? Its silly to have the developers build in VS2015 and have QA build in VS2017: If it fails you can't say its bad code because there are too many discrepancies.

If you are testing, you don't need Visual Studio at all. The developer builds the app and gives you the APK. Copy it to the downloads directory of your android device. It will install. Run it. Test it. Pass or fail it. Heck, if you have email on the testing device the developer could email the APK to you and you can download and install it directly from the email app.

First, thanks for your suggestions, they are all very useful to me, really.

I do not understand why you have to be so rude to your comments. I told you I'm a super noob in this. :(

See, I'm not QA. I am a student and I ask precisely cause I am new to the subject. I have never said that the code is wrong, I know it is well done and it works, I just can not run it.

In my work, they just gave me this code and told me to "upload it to the store." Only that.

I don't know the developers, they don't work there and they aren't in touch with the company anymore. They didn't leave manuals or documentation, let alone the apk. And in my work nobody has developed in Xamarin before, that's why I'm asking here, since you are experts. If it's necessary install some certificate just tu run it?

Anyway, I'll try what you said, I'll install VS 2015 and try to do a new project in order to verify the conflicts. Thank you.

I'm sorry... Where was I rude? Did I call you names? Suggest you change careers? Talk badly about your driving? Bad mouth your favorite pot roast recipe? I don't see anywhere in my comment where you are maligned. If there is something in my comment that was rude or insulting please let me know what it was so I can understand what offended you.

See, I'm not QA. I am a student and

How would anyone here know that? You said

My company has not given me certificates, {...} I just wanna be able to test {...}

That sounds like you're a tester (QA) for your company. We only know what you tell us or hint to us.

I have never said that the code is wrong, I know it is well done

Don't make that assumption that's its actually "well done" - Like you said, you're a student and don't know enough about development to make that kind of assessment. By the sounds of your description the app was outsourced and once done you have no developers. Which means, its only as good as outsourced code can be; which often is terrible. Just because it gets up and runs doesn't mean its well written or well architected.

• BlancaBlanca Member ✭✭

@ClintStLaurent said:
    I'm sorry... Where was I rude? Did I call you names? Suggest you change careers? Talk badly about your driving? Bad mouth your favorite pot roast recipe? I don't see anywhere in my comment where you are maligned. If there is something in my comment that was rude or insulting please let me know what it was so I can understand what offended you.

See, I'm not QA. I am a student and

How would anyone here know that? You said

My company has not given me certificates, {...} I just wanna be able to test {...}

That sounds like you're a tester (QA) for your company. We only know what you tell us or hint to us.

I have never said that the code is wrong, I know it is well done

Don't make that assumption that's its actually "well done" - Like you said, you're a student and don't know enough about development to make that kind of assessment. By the sounds of your description the app was outsourced and once done you have no developers. Which means, its only as good as outsourced code can be; which often is terrible. Just because it gets up and runs doesn't mean its well written or well architected.

Man, thank you for your comments, but I don't have to explain details of my laboral life to you.
    I just asked a question and I hope to be oriented.

Look, I would really like to run the application. I'm focused on that. And if your comments don't help me, if you don't have an advice for me or say something substantial related to my question, I'd like you to leave the topic here and that someone else can give me some suggestion.

I registered in the forum to learn, not to discuss.

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@Blankiushka said:

That is how we all learn, by discussing ideas.
    I find it astonishing you flagged Client with abuse, he is one of the most helpful people on these forums. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!

To possibly help your question, you don't need any developer certs when testing on a droid device. Just make sure the device is set for developer use (you can google how). If you still can't get the app to run, create a new Xamarin Forms app in VS2017 and see if you can deploy that tot he device.

If you want further assistance, I suggest you remove the Abuse flag from Clint and apologise.

@JohnHair said:

@Blankiushka said:

John, I'm afraid that's a difference in dictionaries between our generation and theirs. We see 'learn' as to mean gain knowledge and understanding through explanation, discussion, and experimentation to garner true comprehension of a topic or subject; that we can apply with thought to appropriate need and situations. This generation sees learn as to be given a one-size-fits-all answer to use over and over to every situation through copy/paste - then if it doesn't work I'll google or ask someone else for another answer to my problem.

@JohnHair said:
    I find it astonishing you flagged Clint with abuse, he is one of the most helpful people on these forums. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!

Sadly it doesn't astound me. Its the nature of the 20-something mentality these days. If you talk to them directly, as peers, like grown-ups, just answering with facts and explanations... IE: Every other sentence isn't praise and cheerleading, while at the same time just giving them answers and participation trophies for just showing up... Then you're the bad guy for not validating their feelings and somehow telepathically knowing what they need both to answer their question and make them feel warm and fuzzy inside.

@ClintStLaurent said:
    If there is something in my comment that was rude or insulting please let me know what it was so I can understand what offended you.

Well CLEARLY that's highly offense these days. The very idea that I would ask someone to point at something they found offense is offensive because then they have to go back and actually find something insulting. That's really hard to do when they were offended not by what someone said, but by the tone of voice they themselves inserted when reading the reply. If someone is looking for a reason to be offended they will find it even if they have to generate it themselves - and asking them to back up their feelings and statements with facts is a real problem for them.

Honestly I'm glad she did it. I'm done. I appreciate your kind remarks @JohnHair about me being helpful... But like a couple other core volunteers I've talked to here - I'm just done with these kids that jump on here with zero time invested in learning and feel ENTITLED to have others write their code for them so they can just copy/paste their way through life - and then get indigent when you only take time to answer the quest honestly without taking an additional 30 minutes on every post to add in fluffy and rainbows and unicorns.

The several hours a days I spend here can be better spent elsewhere. I don't VOLUNTEER here to help out then next generation only to be called abusive by some kid that doesn't know a semi-colon from her own colon.

@Blankiushka The senior developers here that you are asking favors of learned pre-internet. We had to learn by reading documenation and through trial-and-error. Read the manual is a way of life for us. Your generation just doesn't appreciate the amazing resource you have at your fingertips. You can jump on a keyboard at 3am and ask for help around the world and probably get it. We had to seek out others in real life, go find a professor or senior dev someplace and try to convince them we we worth 5 minutes of their time to help us. I can't tell you how many DAYS I would spend driving from campus to company asking to talk to someone that might have a little time to talk about assembly coding - or how many time I had to wait for the monthly local Computer Users Group meeting to bring up a question to 10 people that might have some clue.
    John's right - You have an amazing resource here and calling people abusive because they didn't validate your feelings while answering your question as best they can, with limited understanding of what you're even asking or limited context for your situation- that really is biting the hand that feeds you. If you decide to stay in this field of software development I make two suggestions:
    1. Drop the entire 'entitled' attitude about people helping you. Nobody owes you help. You are not entitled to help. You are asking senior developers who volunteer here if they can spare some of their valuable time to help you. You want a favor from them. Act like you realize that and don't burn them just because you don't like their answers. They aren't here to tell you want you like: They are here to tell you the truth. You seem to think that a simple thread and a fast paragraph will explain your entire situation. And that another quick paragraph will give you all the answers. You said it yourself: You don't owe anyone here an explanation of your situation. Yet you want these same people to help you? Wow!
    2. Treat the industry itself with respect. Your posts make it seem like you think it is all simple and easy and pretty much "well how hard could it be?" - That's very insulting to those of us that actually do for a living, what you admit you know nothing about. Treat everyone from developer to the DMV clerk with the respect they deserve and realize that their job is probably a lot tougher than the 2% you see of it from the outside. You don't like people minimizing what you do for a living when they don't do the job so they don't understand the job. You shouldn't then turn around and do it to others.

And if you think I'm being unfair in my comments consider this:

@Blankiushka said
    I'd like you to leave the topic here and that someone else can give me some suggestion.

This isn't a single-person chat system. If someone else wanted to get past your attitude and help you there are 300,000 other users here that could. The fact that they haven't should probably tell you something about how they have interpreted your post and follow-up comments, responses and actions. Nobody is stopping them from jumping in and helping you, except yourself. They aren't willing to risk your wraith after seeing what you did to someone else trying to help you.

@JohnHair said:
    If you want further assistance, I suggest you remove the Abuse flag from Clint and apologize.

I appreciate the thought John. I really do. But I'm not holding my breath. Its not in the nature of this generation to be wrong. Let alone apologize for it. They weren't raised that way - and that is the fault of our generation for how we raised either them or their parents. They're all warriors for equality and see themselves on day one as equal to 40 year seniors because that's only fair - but don't dare talk to them like equals because that's hard on them and they need time in a safe space with a therapy puppy to recover if you do.

I'm done here

both in this thread and probably this forum {at least for a while}. People like @Blankiushka are just ruining my morale when it comes to the drive to even want to help. When I have to start balancing my desire to help against risk factors to my reputation on this site... "Is it worth trying to help knowing they probably won't appreciate it and will flag me since I didn't give them a copy/paste solution? When that starts becoming my thinking because of people like her... Then its time to back off the site.